BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Safety    Wash water
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wash water
 Login/Join

posted
I was wandering if the milky water after washing was toxic or dangerous?.. For now I just leave it down the drain.. But maybe in the future I will make biodiesel in a farmland ..with out sewage system... And was wondering if dumping the wash water into the ground could contaminate the plants?

posted Hide Post
quote:
I was wandering if the milky water after washing was toxic or dangerous?

Not really. It will contain some methanol which will evaporate quickly on exposure to air, and the glycerol and soap is non-toxic and biodegradable.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the wash water is soapy enough, it might be bad for the plants -- but in some cases that might be okay with you. I've never used wash water in this way, but I have been known to dilute my glycerin byproduct with water and spray it over a crushed rock road at my ranch. It does a great job keeping down weeds and dust.

Cheers, John

posted Hide Post
It can be bad for plants initially, but they bounce back even stronger. I like to use the soap...not soapy wash water, the actual soap....1 gallon of soap in 4 gallons of water to kill mosquitoes by chucking the soapy water on the vacant lots next door.

The leaves on the trees and the underbrush initially brown up a little bit, but then come back bigger and darker green than they were previously.

And the mosquito eggs and larvae all die for weeks...been doing it for years and there is barely a mosquito near my house anymore despite living with a swamp on one side of me and a giant lake on the other.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have found no problem with using it to water plants with.
As long as there is not an excess of glycerol it is ok and even then it can be used on some plants as long as it is watered straight into the ground and not on the leaves.

BTW (sorry to be off topic) to john galt. How is the weather holding up in gold mining country.

Location: YORK UK | Registered: April 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
How is the weather holding up in gold mining country.

Rather nice weather for this time of year. Temps in the -15 to 0 range, with the occasional overnight drop into -20s.

Today I'm filter-polishing biodiesel through the column of maple/birch wood-chip & Quik'n'Dri in the unheated fuel shed. BD is stored in 20L fuel containers, and I only need to bring it into the house overnight to warm it up to easily flow through the filter column.

This is especially clean biodiesel from lightly used canola with no animal fats or PHO. It washed easily and the wash water was 'crystal' clear. A water-mix test with snowmwelt separated with 'crystal' clear layers of water and BD.

...and to stay on topic: I usually spray the wash water from processing in the summer on the gravel driveway for dust control like John does.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Wash water needs to be treated before it can be dumped on the ground.

Wash Water Treatment and Disposal

Rick

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RickDaTech:
Wash water needs to be treated before it can be dumped on the ground.

...if you live in a city.

My gravel driveway is nowhere near a stream or a storm drain.