BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Safety    element shorting out
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

element shorting out
 Login/Join

posted
Another bio brewer told me that with the high titrating wvo that I have the chances of an element buring out will quite a bit higher. I told him some my wvo titrates 15. Has anyone had one burnout when it was fully covered with wvo? Maybe he's trying to scsre me ,so I give up.

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
heatbeater
-first time I heard that one! Dry firing the element will cause failure as well as a big bang in the presence of methanol fumes Big Grin I speak from experiance!!!
-the element I use is a 240 volt 4500 watt stainless steel one, never had a problem with it, but I run it on 110 volts. I got it from Lows or Menards it is lifeguard brand upc 20352 19333 it cost 19.00 and change. Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He told me the element will form a build up and cause the element to burn-out . I'll make a point of it to see that its clean after every batch. I think he might be after my wvo ,since its scarce around here.

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
first time I heard that one! Dry firing the element will cause failure as well as a big bang in the presence of methanol fumes I speak from experiance!!!

Did anything catch on fire ??

posted Hide Post
heatbeater
-there was a post this week by Rick da tech that said the crusty stuff was from dirty oil so just make sure the oil is clean, Tom

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did anything catch on fire ??

No but it blew the sight gauge off the side of the processor, when it hit my leg I thought it was broken man did that hurt, probably would have hurt a lot more if I hadn't been so chit scared. If I start a fire I won't post that info here!!! Big Grin Tom

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
If they burn out when they are covered with oil, all you really notice is that the oil does not heat up. no bangs, no drama. Pulling the element out and cleaning it after every use will prevent it from burning out prematurely. Personally I wouldn't go through the hassle until after I'd burned out a few elements. Only something like 5% or less have a problem with dirty oil burning out their elements. most last years.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
they burn out when they are covered with oil, all you really notice is that the oil does not heat up. no bangs

Really,thats good to know . I was thinking if one burned out with methanol and wvo it would ignite the 140 degree wvo and send it in all directions.

posted Hide Post
quote:
If I start a fire I won't post that info here!!!

Why not? These are things we need to know. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
-the element I use is a 240 volt 4500 watt stainless steel one, never had a problem with it, but I run it on 110 volts

Tom, how much wvo are you heating with one element? Must be in a heated building? Eventually ,I want to make a different reactor from a 120 gallon propane tank. I should look into a different one for my drum reactor because it only heats the wvo to 140 F when running constant. i can't remember its rating.

posted Hide Post
Heatbeater-have you got plenty of insulation wrapped round your drum-makes one hell of a difference.

Location: UK | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Heatbeater-have you got plenty of insulation wrapped round your drum-makes one hell of a difference.

Thanks for asking , i did find out the hard way ,because I couldn't keep the temps up in cooler weather, but now my tanks are wrapped with foil covered bubble wrap. I also cut a circle from some 3/4 plywood and bolted to the metal lid. That seems to help keep the heat from going thru the lid. I don't know if there's a better way to insulate ,unless by using the spray foam stuff. One thing ,since my tanks are drums ,I used angle iron for the legs,which also conducted heat from the wvo. They are partly insulated and I should insulate them a little better.

posted Hide Post
can you burn out an element under WVO..yes..what happens..just what Rick said..nothing..once while heating oil in a large tote(275gallon) without circulating the oil I had one burn out and saw a arc. but that was it.

can inline element burn out..yes..what happens depends on what's running past the element.

fyi..
I'm stilling running my 3+yr old element in my water heater setup..its been thru more bad oil (5-55KOH) than I care to count. not to mention the good oil.

for the most part my oil is only filtered to window screen size junk.

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
can you burn out an element under WVO..yes..what happens..just what Rick said..nothing..once while heating oil in a large tote(275gallon) without circulating the oil I had one burn out and saw a arc. but that was it.

But that was it?? just an arc!!?? If there's wvo and methanol? Maybe I can weld on the tank while the reaction is going,too Eek

posted Hide Post
weld,yes you can, just don't get the weld (red hot material) into the head space part of the tank. Tom

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heatbeater:
But that was it?? just an arc!!?? If there's wvo and methanol? Maybe I can weld on the tank while the reaction is going,too Eek
I believe the most likely fire hazard is the fumes igniting, not the liquids in the tank.

I had an internal fire in an "empty" water heater tank processor. I was filling the reactor with cold oil and decided to start heating the oil as the reactor filled. I didn't have the oil level high enough to cover the heating element when I turned it on. The element shorted and ignited the fumes in the "empty" tank from the previous batch. There was no big bang but there was a very loud whoosh and a flame out of the vent port. Nothing was damaged except my pride and my undershorts.

Ken

Location: Sellersville, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, if there is no oxygen then no bang. If its submerged there will be no oxygen to make a bang, even if it was pure methanol, no air no bang or fire.
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If Biotom say you can weld on the tank..but stay below the head space..
I would believe him..why? he make his living welding.. If I said it..question it..I don't weld for a living..

the only example of welding on a 'gas' tank that I have was when my dad and I were building a dunbuggy and we needed to weld the 'gas' tank in the frame..he wanted to just weld it..I talked him into filling the tanks with water first..after he finished the first arc weld and heard the water boiling..he agreed with me..filling with water was the best choice.

today as a general rule a DON'T WELD ON FUEL TANKS..its a job for the pros..I want to live..

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post