BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Safety    Static electricity
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Static electricity
 Login/Join

posted
When dumping lye from plastic bags into the methanol mixing tank I have noticed some evidence of static electricity. The beads of lye will dance around a little and cling to the bag. Recently after dumping a bag I touched the small metal tank lid to close it and I got a good zap of static. Nothing bad happened that time. I now will always touch the metal frame somewhere away from the lid before touching the lid. Or I could clip a ground wire to my ear. I wonder if you can buy gold alligator clips. Live and learn.

Location: Virginia | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Location: Western NY | Registered: September 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are some good best practices to avoid static arcs as well.
Another tip to avoid feeling a whack from the static shock is to hold a key or other metal object and then touch it to the grounded metal, the arc will discharge through the metal and you wont feel it at all.
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's fun to do that on a cats' nose. Big Grin

Location: Western NY | Registered: September 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post