BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS






Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Methanol in Japan?
 Login/Join
 
Member
posted
I know this is a long shot, but I am trying to find pure methanol to start some biodiesel work. Not looking for hundreds of liters, but 10s of liters would be nice. Can only find up to 95% pure, with 5% ethanol added.
 
Location: Mito, Japan | Registered: November 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Racing fuel perhaps. Would the 5% ethanol be a problem, it shouldn't interfere with the reaction.
Because NaOH isn't soluble in ethanol the ethanol should rise to the top of the methoxide solution.
 
Location: Nimbin Australia | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Been trying to get by an RC shop, just don't know of any in the area. The problem with the 95% methanol I have access to is that it is $3 for 500ml. Not really worth doing anything at that price.
Used to seeing people get a gallon for that price, and I know there are some DB makers in my prefecture, so it's out there, just gotta find it
 
Location: Mito, Japan | Registered: November 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
A lot of methanol ends up as Formaldehyde, maybe one of the plastic manufacturers might be a source.
 
Location: Nimbin Australia | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
The ethanol shouldnt be a problem because you can actually use it instead of methanol to conduct the reaction. However...I would not want to us the 95% because most of the other 5% is going to be water. You arent going to get a complete reaction with 95%.

Check with your local race tracks. They will surely have methanol. Also, check your auto parts store. Some fuel additives such as HEAT will do. Otherwise, check Alibaba for suppliers in China.

Hope this helps.
 
Location: Manila Philippines | Registered: August 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Not much as far as race tracks go. IPA is in all the gas line antifreeze bottles. I am trying to get ahold of the japanese lady on journey to forever, but haven't gotten a reply yet.
 
Location: Mito, Japan | Registered: November 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post



  Powered by Social Strata  
 


© Maui Green Energy 2000 - 2014