BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel Connections  Hop To Forums  More Biodiesel Connections    Philippine Biodiesel
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Philippine Biodiesel
 Login/Join

posted
Biodiesel homebrewers in the Philippines

Question:
Is there other biodiesel homebrewer in the Philippines?

Choices:
Yes
No

posted Hide Post
I am planning on manufacturing biodiesel to fuel my diesel SUV.

posted Hide Post
I will be happy to be a part of PI's bioprocessor group. Manoy

Location: Philippines | Registered: June 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Manoy,

Happy to have you on-board.

posted Hide Post
count me in. Good luck and may our tribe increase...

pidsmb

HTML

Location: Philippines | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Pidsmb,

Welcome aboard!

posted Hide Post
Anyone of you guys happened to know where can I get phenolphthalien? This is an acid indicator needed for titration.

If you are also planning on doing homebrew biodiesel, I got 25 kilos of sodium hydroxide (NaOH).

I can also provide you with methanol (methyl alcohol).

posted Hide Post
Hindi ako nakatira sa Pilipinas, pero nagho-homebrew ako dito sa Utah, USA. Kung meron kayong tanong tungkol sa pagpro-production, just ask me.

Good to hear that there are Pinoys getting into biodiesel! Welcome!

'93 Chevy K3500 w/6.5 turbo, 4x4. 20k miles on bio and counting.
'02 Ford F350 4 Door Short-Bed w/7.3 Powerstroke. 15k miles on bio.

Location: Utah | Registered: July 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello everyone, i'm already making biodiesel since june 2008, but i'm having problem where to get enough supply of used cooking oil, for now I can only get 100 liter a month

Location: Philippines | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Chris,

Thanks for the support. As of now I am only making small batches (1 gallon) until I finished my 55 gallon processor. One challenge though is where to source out good WVO.

Best regards,
Edwin

posted Hide Post
Hello Arvin,

You can try contacting some restaurants in your locality. Be careful though in getting oils with too much FFA's.

What I did is that I contracted our company canteen for them to sell to me their WVO. That way, I can get 20 liters per week.

posted Hide Post
Yup, that's what i did, I get my WVO from some restaurant, that's where my 100 liter per month supply comes from, but I need more since I can already process 200 to 300 liter at a time, I have a 400 liter processing tank and a 500 liter settling/washing tank, I don't know how much FFA in my oil since I don't titrate my oil

Location: Philippines | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Arvin, how do you make your biodiesel since you dont titrate? Do you do an acid/base process?

posted Hide Post
Hello Chris Smile My first time I did the base/base process but produced a bad diesel (maybe due to low temperature and methanol evaporation because of vented processor), then I did the acid/base with better result but still did not pass the 27/3 or 3/27 test (still due to vented processor and low temperature), my last batch I did the acid/base/base process and get good result (build myself an enclosed process), it pass the 27/3 test but i still noticed some soap buildup during washing, I used 2ml/liter sulfuric and 8% methanol on the acid stage, then used 7g/liter NaOH on 12% methanol, next I'll try the acid/acid/base/base process, I'll try to drain in between the acid/acid stage, I'll also try to use more acid and a little bit more methanol, maybe 22% total.

posted Hide Post
Holy Cow, Arvin! Why make it so dificult on yourself? I cant imagine any reason to do an acid/acid/base/base.
...unless you cant heat your oil for some reason?

posted Hide Post
hello Chris.im new to biodiesel homebrewing..what method do u ususally use in making biodiesel...tnx

posted Hide Post
Yes chris, I don't heat my oil up to boiling, It would take too much energy, electricity here in the Philippine is very expensive, burning glycerin produces too much fumes, price of char coal is also going up, you can also forget about other form of fuel for heating, I can save a lot more by using more acid that heating up the oil, also I find using more acid better since you can convert more FFA, remember, heating the oil to boiling produces more FFA, which is not very ideal, I'm thinking of buying a centrifuge but for now I still can't afford it even a surplus one

posted Hide Post
NO NO NO.

You should not heat the oil up to boiling, that is not what I said. (I am not sure if you mean boiling point of water 100 C, or the oil ~225 C). You should heat the oil to somewhere near 55 C. This can be achieved easily and cheaply by leaving a black vessel of oil out in the sun for a few hours.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carlod729:
hello Chris.im new to biodiesel homebrewing..what method do u ususally use in making biodiesel...tnx

I make my biodiesel like this:

1. Load processor (40 gallon electric water heater) with 25 gallons (95 l) settled, dry oil (mostly canola, some soy).
2. Heat the oil up to 130 F (55 C) while circulating the oil with a clear water pump.
3. Titrate the oil to determine how much KOH to add to the methanol.
4. Mix KOH into methanol (7 gallons [26 liters]), I use a base amount of 8 grams KOH per liter of oil + amount determined by titration.
5. Add methoxide to oil slowly over the space of 20 minutes.
6. Process for 2 hours from the time that all of the methoxide has been added.
7. Move mix to cone-bottomed settling drum.
8. Settle for 8 hours.
9. Drain glycerine and set asside in sealed container for methanol reclamation.
10. Wash with a fine mist of water for 8 hours.
11. Drain all water and any little bit of emulsion out and store in aggregate drum for settling.
12. Dry biodiesel by recirculating from bottom of drum to top while heating and ventilating with a desktop fan.
13. Pump finished fuel through polishing filter, into vehicle or storage drum.

posted Hide Post
Yes chris, I just heat my oil at about 60 C for about 3 to 4 hour to remove a little bit of moisture, I use a small stove fueled by biodiesel, this is also to make the oil thin for better filtering