BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel Connections  Hop To Forums  More Biodiesel Connections    glycerin pretreatment
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

glycerin pretreatment
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I made a batch of bio diesel last week using KOH for the first time
I am now about to make my second batch; I have however pre-treated this batch with the glycerol from the last batch; what I was hoping for’ and think I have achieved’ was to remove any water’ that I would normally have get reid of’ i would heat the processor to 90 degrees C’ and drain and vent off the remainder this could take a day or so
This time however’ I have heated the veg oil to 90 degrees C’ allowed it to settle over night’ the temperature had dropped to 75C’ drained off what water had dropped out’ and started the processor to lower the temperature’ by using the venture to add air’ with the oil’ this I am sure took some more water vapour off ‘when it reached 60C’ I added 25lt of KOH glycerol’ to the batch mixed this for two hours’ or so then allowed it to settle
The glycerol that drain off’ was much thicker and a lighter colour’ so I am hoping this will have removed any remaining water’ I will titrate just before I process .
The glycerol’ I drained off after the pre-treatment’ I will mix with sawdust’ I try and burn in my wood gasifying boiler

If it’s not broken don’t fix it if you do you’ll break it.

The black dog can be beaten

Location: peoples republic of cork ireland | Registered: November 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you are right that the real value of glycerol pretreatment is water removal. anyone who has ever broken an emulsion with glycerol will know just how easily glycerol will take up water.
However if the temperature is around 60 degrees there should be some conversion reaction taking place as well. Did you titrate before and after?
I used to make glycerol logs with sawdust but they wouldnt burn well in my stove. I think the temperature was too low, your gasifying burner should burn them cleanly though.

Im holding a biodiesel demonstration this weekend, my usual 150 litre batch. The lard burning stove will be runnin but wrap up well.
My recovery still will be processing glycerol byproduct. The bioethanol project, which is progressing better than I had hoped will be on show for the first time. All are welcome, no charge, coffee and biscuits supplied.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi,having trouble making out the tax statement when I enlarge it, but was talking to the customs officer yesterday and he wants a sheet stating amount of oil collected,amount processed,amount of methanol etc used,what the oil was used for and a bank draft to cover the tax due.
Got more filters and housings from meare solutions,when I changed the filters I noticed a second housing cracked,lucky I ordered extra housings.

Location: IRELAND | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have posted you a copy this morning. My guy didnt ask for details of oil collected and methanol purchased , just how much bio made and how it was used.
I had a look at Meare Solutions filters and they are certainly very keenly priced but I wonder are they robust enough for the kind of use we give them. The 10" filter housing from www.biodieselfilters.co.uk are nearly double the price but I cant imagine them cracking. Mine have had a fair bit of abuse, I once accidentally backed the car into it.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi imakebiodiesel,received letter in post this morning,thanks.Revenue must thrust you if they take a cheque?
looked at filters on biodieselfilters site,will try them in future if needed.
regards vino

Location: IRELAND | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post