BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dewatering/Drying Washed Biodiesel    drying bio in the winter

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

drying bio in the winter
 Login/Join

posted
I know this might be a stupid question but I need to ask.

I already use a dehumidifier in my caravan to remove water, and its very efficient but my question is this

had this idea about building a cube made of wood 3ft wide by 3ft deep by 4ft high.
sealed and airtight with a front door.
inside you could put about 60ltr barrel of washed biodiesel.
you would put your bubblier in the biodiesel to airate the liquid.
then put a slim dehumidifier inside to draw the moisture out.
after a pre determined period of time the drying stops

Would the dehumidifier only remove the water ?

this sounds silly but I have my moments

The best things in life are FREE well nearly
I build Solar Trackers and Wind Turbines

Location: Norwich United Kingdom | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont see any reason why it wouldnt work. It may be slow but that wouldnt matter to most home brewers. I say give it a try and let us know how it works, Ive a dehumidifer that I havnt used for a couple of years.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have it on my drawing board pencilled in for next week
I have a delongi model that is in my caravan , its got a timer and everything and it only draws 330w on full power and it will suck out 6 litres in 24 hours.

as a test I stood a bottle of my biodiesel in the caravan today which was slightly cloudy with water due to the damp conditions here at the moment and after 3 hours it cleared up nicely so if I put it in a small box with a bubler as long as its sealed tight it should suck out water like a vacuum due to the lack of Air.

This should be cheaper than heating it

3000w by heating for 13 hours or
330w by dehumidifier for 4 hours

got to be cheap and you know it will suck out water from a toilet with no trouble

Location: Norwich United Kingdom | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to state the obvious but make sure your bubbler is drawing air from a dry place too...
Good luck!
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cant see where you live from your profile but if you send me samples of your biodiesel before and after drying I will test them and give you a precise water content reading in ppm.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whitevanman:
I have it on my drawing board pencilled in for next week
I have a delongi model that is in my caravan , its got a timer and everything and it only draws 330w on full power and it will suck out 6 litres in 24 hours.

as a test I stood a bottle of my biodiesel in the caravan today which was slightly cloudy with water due to the damp conditions here at the moment and after 3 hours it cleared up nicely so if I put it in a small box with a bubler as long as its sealed tight it should suck out water like a vacuum due to the lack of Air.

This should be cheaper than heating it

3000w by heating for 13 hours or
330w by dehumidifier for 4 hours

got to be cheap and you know it will suck out water from a toilet with no trouble

Remember you are not pulling 3000W on the heater once you are at temp-only on the initial warm up

Location: UK | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
cheers for all advice given

need more like minded people in this World