BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS





Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dewatering/Drying Washed Biodiesel    Polyacrylamide Experiments

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Polyacrylamide Experiments
 Login/Join
 
Member
posted
I purchased some Hydrosource soil additive to try in dewatering both WVO and Biodiesel.

I made a nice emulsion of biodiesel and water.

I started out with about 300mls of biodiesel milkshake.

I made a "tower" out of a old 1 gal water bottle. I cut the bottom out and I drilled a small hole in the cap and put in some coffee filters in it to keep the grains of hydrosource from going anywhere.

To the tower I added 1lb of hydrosource which is most likely more than needed.

I added the biodiesel milkshake which was at room temperature 85F or so.

I had to pass the biodiesel thru the hydrosource about 8 times to be able to see thru the biodiesel. I lost about 60mls of volume and ended up with about 240mls of what appears to be dry biodiesel.

As soon as I get a working camera I will try and post some pictures.


quote:
Originally posted by Murphy: In short, this place is like a multi-dimensional bull$hit detector on steroids
 
Location: In the Pacific Somewhere | Registered: January 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Sounds positive. Shows it does work.

If you can try a tall thin pipe instead of the bottle it might help all the bio come into the contact with all the grains and provide efficient reliable results.

Combine this with a slow flow rate from the bottom and out the top fed by gravity from a container above the top of the pipe. The idea is that the grains that swell the most first will be at the bottom and not have the weight pressing down on the not so used grains below. It also allows you to control the time the bio is in contact with the grains (residency time) which is harder to do if you just let it run down under gravity.

You can use a flexy pipe with a clamp like they do in fish tanks to control the flow. You will need to use enough bio to fill the column as well as come out the top. You will lose some of the first batch to fill the column.

If it is too hard to do upflow then the downflow is still well worth carrying on with.


mathematical elegance -- desired result achieved with minimal complication
 
Location: Manchester UK | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dewatering/Drying Washed Biodiesel    Polyacrylamide Experiments

© Maui Green Energy 2000 - 2014