BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dewatering/Drying Washed Biodiesel    Bubble drying over water?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bubble drying over water?
 Login/Join

posted
Hi
Quick query here about drying water washed Bio.

I got 55 gallons of under reacted fuel and re-processed 25g of it and water washed it (with heat) till water and bio were crystal clear.

Thing is, I'm waiting on Culigan to call me when they dig out some old water softener towers to give me for drywahing with wood and PD206.
Well. I built a fine 'Riverstones' Washtank but never built the dryer tank.

I've been bubbling the batch, above the water and stand pipe.
I forget who, but somebody on the forum mentions drying like this.
The bubbler is a $5 fishtank pump plumbed to a 'T' with 2 airtool filter stones.--Works Great.
I have a candy thermometer in it saying 150*F. It's been going all night and all today- it's noon:30 now.

This is chicken fat bio from work. I only plan to use it to prime the wood chips and Purolite filters.
Passed all tests that I know of from this forum.
Tell me it will be fine.

TIA
Brian

1996 K2500 4x4 6.5TD

Location: Southern Indiana USA | Registered: June 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since it seems no one else will, it'll be just fine. For real...

Let us know how the towers work out. Interested in how FRP tanks hold up and how you solve the fill & empty issues b/c I can pick up a few biggies for free too.

posted Hide Post
Thanks, and will do.
I think Legal Eagle uses that type of tower.

Brian

1996 K2500 4x4 6.5TD

Location: Southern Indiana USA | Registered: June 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Legal uses them and I have used one for nearly a year now. It's not too big a pain to load new resin in. I wouldn't use one for wood chips though. Wood chips work well in a large drum with BD on top. You just have to mix it up every now and then to get them to work. I have used a PVC column with wood chips in it for some time now, but it's a pain to load/unload. I still use it prior to feeding my resin columns.

Location: Chambodia | Registered: December 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eurocab,
Thanks for adding that. Good to know.

I do have six very fine strainer sacks, like filter bags. They would fit inside a 6" pvc column.
I use them in my tote opening to strain my upflowed oil. Only fine breading food particles get caught in it. They 18" deep.

I just got a 5' long 6" pvc pipe today. Hoping to Fab something for the wood. The Culigan towers will be lead/lag resin. I have 30 pounds of PD206.

I should be able to make 2 pvc columns out of what I have. The resin should be enuff, but I'm hoping to use the wood chips to ease the burden and prolong the use of the resin. Dose this sound right?

I will process less than 1,000 gallons this year.

Brian

1996 K2500 4x4 6.5TD

posted Hide Post
I know that you need to leave some headspace for Purolite resin as it expands quite a bit when it comes in contact with the BD. I can't remember exactly how much.

I use Thermax macroporous resin. It doesn't appear to expand at all.

The PVC will work fine for wood chips. I get the bulk of the soap out before it ever hits my wood chip column. I soak the chips in BD for a couple of days stirring it up every now and then and most of the soap is gone when I load up my filtering reservoir. Then it gravity feeds through the PVC column, two wmaller PVC columns with resin in them and finally through the water filter column. Then I final filter through a 1 micron sock filter and into the fuel tank.

Location: Chambodia | Registered: December 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The stainer bags are 24", and they dont fit to seat in the pvc pipe.
But- they may fit in a fitting such as a 't'. I'll take one to work and see.
A threaded clean-out cap above that will help with changing the chips.

I think for my scale of production plans this will be fine.

Yes, the Purolite will double in size. Hopefully the wood will slow that down.

When I get all my parts together, I will post something trying to stay on-topic....lol

Thanks. Brian

1996 K2500 4x4 6.5TD