BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dewatering/Drying Washed Biodiesel    Dewatering coalesence element for small users.

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dewatering coalesence element for small users.
 Login/Join

posted
Welcome!

We are producers of dewatering elements..
We are giving away 20 dewatering elements.
We guarantee a full helpdesk and know-how.

We are deeply interested to your opinion and open for the discussions abaut your experiences with this dewatering filter.

Requiremens for the potential pilot tester.
1. An active member of the forum.
2. You are owner of the small production unit.
3. You are positive, and engaged in product development

Separator specifications will be sent by personal email.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ENKI,

Feel free to ask.

Location: Estonia | Registered: November 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
In order to understand how to best use your filter, please, how much water can it absorb before it needs to be changed and how much water is left behind after one pass through your filter?

Rick

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The website has most of the info it looks like, here's what I found

--------------SNIP-------------
Technical parameters of the BFC-2000 filtering device
Operating temperature during dehydration 5-60 °C

Capacity for diesel fuel 2 m3/hour

Capacity for oil at 40 °С (30 cSt) 1 m3/hour

Separation of moisture 92-97 %

Separation of solid particles 93-98 %

Separation of biological impurities 99-99.9 %

Filter fineness 3-5 μm

Maximum pressure differential when clogged with mechanical impurities, kg/cm2 1 bar

Allowable pressure up to 6 bar

Number of filter elements 2 pcs

--------------SNIP-------------

There's also some pic's and a video.

ENKI:
What would be the price for one filter?
What is the expected filter life?

Location: Central California | Registered: April 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
That really didn't answer anything and left me with dozens of questions.

Nothing about performance with WVO or Biodiesel.

The blurb above translates into flow rate of 8gpm. at 1/2% water removal that's over 2.5 gallons of water removed an hour. How much water can the filter hold before needing to be replaced?

Moisture separation of 92% to 97% is not good enough for SVO or Biodiesel. We need at least 99.95% dry for SVO and 99%+ for oil being dried to make biodiesel and 99.95% dry for finished biodiesel.

Rick

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear readers,

First of all, this filter is so called coalescent filter, which means that it does not absorb water but makes it precipitate.
The filter material is porous, hydrophilic polymer. Water (or any other polar molecul) binds to walls of the pores of the filter material because electrostatic interactions between water and the polymer moleculs. When the watter mass on the pores walls is sufficient, it starts to form drops and precipitate out from filter.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ENKI,

Feel free to ask.

Location: Estonia | Registered: November 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For better undestanding.
Lets call the filter element to separator/element.

Feel free to ask.

posted Hide Post
Dewatering

Emulsion making

Feel free to ask.

posted Hide Post
Microemulsion breaking with separator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KlylLaVm4o

Feel free to ask.

posted Hide Post
Dual system 120 lh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YTapbByk2Y

Feel free to ask.

posted Hide Post
So essentially the polymer media in the 'separation' element can last for a long time because it just acts as a combining agent for the suspended water? Care would need to given to insure that only extremely clean feed stock could be used?

The videos look impressive, but I would like to know what PPM of suspended water was going in, and what was coming out on a single pass. Also... How much do these elements cost and how effectively can it scale. I am interested in up to 4,000 Liters a week.

Living off-grid in upstate NY
--1982 240D (4spd) Dual Tank SVO
--1999 Jetta TDI Dual Tank SVO
--98 12v Cummins
--6hp Lister generator - Dual Tank SOV (for house electric/hotwater backup)

Location: Everywhere | Registered: December 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello!

Live test in Latvia.
Element and vessel: Mark II.-4 elements d 150mm l 300mm.
Flow speed per type Mark II was 600 l per h

Origin raw B-100 after process and wash before centrifuges: 3200 ppm.
Material after single pass 1900-2200 ppm.
Material after 16 hours settling 1700-1800ppm.

Material after 1 month. original raw mat 2800 ppm. Green look
Material after single pass 1000 ppm. Clear look

Surely the surface tension is a problem. The element broke the emulsion ( element wett fully and first BD is perfect.. no haze ). Put in reality after element filling with water the dropletz are so smalls...approximately 0,05-0,1 mm. So they dont settle out.

Would be interesting using it before gravity separator or resin Dry Wash Tower.

Best regards

Feel free to ask.

posted Hide Post
Hello!

Bad quality picture added. Just primary data

Feel free to ask.

ImageMARK_2.jpg (47 Kb, 17 downloads) Mark II

posted Hide Post
Hi Enki,

We water wash 200 gallon batches, then circulate and forced air dry. Have made many thousands of gallons using this tried method over the years. We use the Sandy Brae test kit to verify moisture, and have tested other water drying techniques in the past.

So I'd be glad to test one out and let ya know how it performs.

-Ken

Recycling & Green Fuels Research: www.altfuelsgroup.org
Ozone Eating Toys For Big Boys !!: www.suncoastexotics.com
Carefully Maintaining A Carbon Neutral Footprint...

Location: Southeastern Ohio | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ENKI; If your dewatering filter works by hydrogen bonding, then doesn't cotton or dry saw dust do that also? How much water does your filter remove from biodiesel? How much does it cost? I see it also removes other organic impurities. Will it clean up dark coloured biodiesel? Thanks

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello mr Wesley B!

If your dewatering filter works by hydrogen bonding, then doesn't cotton or dry saw dust do that also?
First and biggest differences is.
1. Poretex is coalescence material..when it fill with water ..then the flow will push the water out of element. Put the dropletz are bigger ( from 35 micron to 1-4 mm ...surface tension is important ) and now they have weight and can by gravity sink.
2. Its passive separating. just flow needed.
3. No dryening needed its continuous process.
4. Chemical resistance is very good.
How much water does your filter remove from biodiesel?
1. Mark II with single pass 1900-2100 ppm. Test results ( Latvian BD ) was showing what fast minimum is aprox 2000 ppm. No big differences was there water in raw mat 3500 or 5000 ppm. With 16 hours water settling separation after single pass was -300-400 ppm. With one month last results was 1000 ppm and nice clear. The raw mat was green ( i think acid traces ).
How much does it cost?
1. For RD purposes we can give it free put vessel is different story. Plastics vessel d400-500mm 4 elements cost is aprox 500-600 eur and Mark I vessel is 200 eur single element version. Extra cheap version is just supporting tube and cost is 100 ( can be used in 1km3 container ).
I dont wanna say out the price of elements. We have some processes in middle and we do-not know what our partner will do with material in future ( NDAs is signed ).
Will it clean up dark coloured biodiesel?
1. i do-not believe so. Organics is more like particles with size to 10 micron. If the color is water soluble then with separating water its possible. Other ways no chance.

The bd is surely not the best thing to dewatering. Put the material hopely can help fastening the simple settling process. Really good particle filtration per element ( dirt hold is really good ).
And surely it will fastening fast separating process as dropletz are bigger. On success is not bad results when you can start dewatering in resin tower from 2000 ppm not for 3500 ppm ( lifetime will be much longer on your tower ).

In RD purposes i personally would integrate it in line ( by pass change )before classical separators systems. And then we will see what happening Smile The results need time ( 10% can be free week per year )

Best regards.

Feel free to ask.

posted Hide Post
Hello!

Last field test results.

1. B-100. Water content 2450ppm.
2. Single pass and 960ppm.

Not so easy and fast as we hoped in program starting.
Put surely very promising results.

Best regards.

Feel free to ask.

posted Hide Post
Hi ENKI,
I don't know how you manage to have wet biodiesel at 2450ppm water.

Water washed biodiesel contains roughly only 1000ppm water
if allowed to stand for about 1 hour after washing.

I do a lot of water testing for people, some are small commercial brewers. I have both Sandy Brae and Karl Fischer instruments.

If you care to send me one of your filters I can undertake some more realistic tests and post the results.

Regards, Dave.

Location: YORK UK | Registered: April 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi!

OK no problem.

Feel free to ask.