BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dewatering/Drying Washed Biodiesel    Bubble drying in humid conditions

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bubble drying in humid conditions
 Login/Join

posted
Well, it's another humid summer, and I'm struggling to get my biodiesel down to a desirable level(500-600ppm h2o). I don't have the capability to use an air compressor, and I want to do it without heat, so I'm trying to bubble dry it.

In dry conditions, bubble drying with an aquarium air bubble works great, but once the humidity gets to 50% and up, 1500ppm is the best I can do. Last year, I tried the quick and dry, but it didn't get the fuel much below 1000ppm.

I have found that if I run the airlines from my aquarium bubbler through desiccant, I can dry the air down to ~25% humidity. I'm looking to go further with this idea. I know that rice is a great desiccant, and is cheap. I'm thinking of building a "column" filled with rice to run the air through to get it very dry. My theory is that the greater exposure to the desiccant, the drier the air wil get.

Has anyone tried this?

any thoughts?

posted Hide Post
Ive done this with silica gel as a dessicant. Silica gel is cheap and easy to get ( cat litter crystals) and can be regenerated. It works well and you dont need a lot of dessicant.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post