BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dewatering/Drying Washed Biodiesel    bio gets cloudy after cooling down

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bio gets cloudy after cooling down
 Login/Join

posted
I mist washed one batch 4X ,after the last drain-off I heated it up to 160F and it cleared up and lost its cloudyness. The second batch I did the same thing to, but when it cools down it turns cloudy again . Does anybody know what happening? I'm afraid to use the second batch because I think it'll clog the furnace nozzle.

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it still has water in it. Try drying longer.
It could also be high in animal fat and is clouding because of the higher melting point of the fat...
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jon , I reheated the batch and circulated it for only a couple of minutes . I noticed the cone section was still cool so I rigged up a pump to circulate the bottom onto the top ,and after it cooled down its was still clear. Looks like there was water that needed to be exposed to the air. The first batch cleared up without any blending. The water was playing ,hide and seek. Thanks for the tip.

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everytime this happens to me, I keep drying. Water is the problem

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Turbo Diesel

Fuel Blends, Recorded Miles
Diesel: 46445
B20: 978
B40: 447
B60: 2167
B80: 18690
B100: 57929

Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is water, heat it up but also drop a bubbler in it and aim a fan at the surface and it will dry.

Don't use it till it passes the refrigerator test.

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: September 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post