BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dewatering/Drying Washed Biodiesel    Zeolite dry washing

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zeolite dry washing
 Login/Join

posted
Has someone tried to wash the biodiesel wiht zeolite?. Has anyone any experience with it?. Zeolite is cheap here in Greece and if it works, I can send you almost free...

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
not cost effective even with free zeolite.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could you explain why?
Thanks in advance

posted Hide Post
Hello Fotis
I think it depends on what you are trying to do with the zeolite. Remove the last traces of methanol/water or remove soaps and maybe some glycerin like eco2pure does?

Zeolites that absorb water/methanol won't absorb soaps or glycerin so you will still need some way to remove those.

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fotis:
Could you explain why?
Thanks in advance

Didn't see this earlier.

1) WVO has stuff in it that, over time, poisons the zeolites. The first sample may be free, but the replacements will not be free.

2) It takes energy to remove the water from zeolites. That energy is not free.

zeolites and water absorbing materials have been discussed and experimented with for years. If they worked in a cost effective manner, we would all be using them.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had planned to pass my processed biodiesel through oak sawdust and later through zeolite filter to remove soaps.As last step I will filter it through 1 microns filter. I believe that the worst for my diesel car are the soaps and the water. At last months I usually wash my biodiesel with water washing method but it takes to me to many days to complete a biodiesel batch. I decided to find the most cost and time effective method to produce without hard to find materials in my country. I could find only zeolite and oak sawdust here. I had tried to buy ecu2pure but it costs to much with the transport fee.
Do you have to propose an effective plan to dry washing, with these materials that I can find ?
The zeolite costs to me 15€ for 30 kgr bag.

Thanks guys, for your help

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
fotis,

Please don't think I was trying to discourage you in anything you might try. I was just pointing out that historically zeolites have not been used in homebrew past a few experiments. Try it out and let us know how it works for you! It may have been that we have always tried to use it incorrectly. who knows.

What rating are your zeolites? there is much difference in size between water and biodiesel, and methanol and biodiesel, but no size difference between soap and biodiesel. I would only use zeolites as a very last step as insurance that the biodiesel was dry and not as a drying step.