I am still on my first batch on my new 300 liter processor.
Made using KOH, Clean 3/27, and now washed many times getting ready to dry.
I don't have my Quik'n'Dri setup ready yet, BUT, just so I don't have to go back to the Dino pumps again I was thinking about the following simple way of using it temporarily:
1. Dump some BD into 55 gal poly drum.
2. Dump some Quick'n'Dri into the drum.
3. Stir the pot intermittently until dry.
I think I read that the QnD falls to the bottom in oil, so once dry I could just settle and then pump out the BD from the top through a screen and filter. Additionally, since water also falls to the bottom this could work pretty quickly since it will meet most of the water down there, perhaps...
Heck, if it works I might just keep doing it that way.
Any reason this wouldn't work?
Thanks in advance, I REALLY want this batch dry so I can drive cheap while I improve on my process.
Try it then test the BD for water content. Tell us what you discover.
Thanks, I think I will.
Thanks also for the water test link, I am building the 'Imanometer' to test for water using Calcium Carbide but I'm still waiting for that to arrive. Thinking of using Baking Powder in the mean time but not sure if it will work.
Just made another post about the upflow tower I built, but, just to finish this thread off, yes, it does work to just drop it in and agitate.
A couple of lessons learned:
1. It's not enough to just let it sit, agitation is very necessary unless you have several days to wait.
2. It seems that colder temps reduce the absorptive ability of the quik'n'dri, at least that's my guess based on what I saw. I suppose as the thickness of the BD increases it's harder for the water to 'migrate' into the q'n'd.
I went with an upflow tower for my permanent solution, but I am still intrigued by the thought of using a type of rolling drum, like one of those backyard composters, just load the q'n'd and the oil and let a small motor spin the whole thing slowly for a few hours. Maybe next time.....