BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dewatering/Drying Washed Biodiesel    filtering dry biodiesel

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

filtering dry biodiesel
 Login/Join

posted
I am in the process of completing my system and am adding a drying tank. I will be bubbling washed biodiesel with an aquarium air pump in order to dry the fuel, but need to know whether or not it is necessary to filter the dry biodiesel afterwards. Due to the way my system is currently set up, I am planning to filter the bio after washing yet BEFORE drying. Does anyone have advice on this? Would a filter also be necessary after drying and before storage?

Location: Hudson Valley, NY | Registered: March 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
When I used to water wash and air dry I had a pair of CAT 2 micron fuel filter cans as a final polishing filtration before use or storage.

You want to filter AFTER drying 'cause if you have residual soaps in the fuel the can(s) will get most of it. You'll run through filters in a hurry though, which is why I stopped water washing and went with a resin dry wash set up where I demeth the biodiesel first, let it settle out it's soaps and then run through a drum of wood chips followed by twin resin beds and a final CAT 2 micron can.

I personally do not think that only bubbling will get the fuel dry enough unless you have plenty of time to process it that way and the air isn't too humid.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Here is an article on the subject:

Drying Biodiesel

Filter after drying. Your filters will last a lot longer.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can be sure that no dust , dirt, insects etc can enter your drying system then you might get away with filtering before drying but it is always good practice to filter at the very end of the process, just before you fill your vehicles fuel tank.
I filter with a 5 micron filter and the element lasts 3,500 litres or one year. It still looks perfectly clean at that stage but I change it anyway.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post