BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dewatering/Drying Washed Biodiesel    Drying washed biodiesel in winter fast

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drying washed biodiesel in winter fast
 Login/Join

posted
For the last week or two I have been wondering how I can heat my winter biodiesel to get it dry like summer time,but this time its a little bit different in winter.
I was going through my stored things in the summer house(just one of three places my belongings are stored at the moment).I came across a Delongi Stainless steel deep fat fryer.
All fittings are stainless steel. It was new in the box unused.

Yes It only handles 4 litres but at a push 5 if you don't cook anything in it at the same time.
I had 100 litres to do but time was unlimited because snow was all around outside. I tried 5 litres and cooked some biodiesel at 100c on the dial and double checked the temperature with my nitro buggie temperature laser tester which showed 107.6c which is over the point that water turns to steam.
there should not be much water in there now.

After one hour the biodiesel was clear and dark and all I had to do was spoon the crap off the top which took 10 seconds so I now let it cool for one hour.

final stage drain into clean 70 litre storage container with a sealable lid and clamp it closed for storage. the fryer has a handy drain valve at the front and is very cool to the touch.

Now I want to build a larger one capable of 100 litres.

Have fun all you mad scientists.

The best things in life are FREE well nearly
I build Solar Trackers and Wind Turbines

Location: Norwich United Kingdom | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maintaining 100 litres of biodiesel at 100 degrees for an hour is going to use a hell of a lot of energy. Bear in mind that if it takes an hour to process 5 litres by this method it may take up to 10 times that long to remove all of the water from 100 litres.
Heating to 50 degrees and then spray drying with hot air will be faster and more economical

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whats spray drying? and how does it work?

Location: chula vista california | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yeyoherrera:
Whats spray drying? and how does it work?

I don't use water anymore but used to and left the information on my site incase it could help someone along the way:this is my water washing /drying page. Scroll down about 3/4 and you will see my dry tank with Bete Spray head.

You can see more photos ect of it at Rick Da Tech's site. Scroll down a bit.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post