So I am trying to get away from water washing and refuse to use ion resins...I want a media that is "disposable" in the wood stove. I was able to find kiln dried walnut shavings and did a test. I used a glass applesauce jar and filled it with shavings, not packed in but still somewhat compressed. I then used some fuel that had slightly failed the shake em up test after it was dried, but it did pass 3-27, actually I use 30-270 so I can really see what is going on...not even a pin drop. I rolled the jar a few times but generally just let it sit for 4 hours. I then filtered the fuel through old pantyhose-probably first mistake-and performed a shake em up test, along with another shake em test of the same fuel that failed earlier but not shaving "filtered", that way I could rule out that the soap had settled from the fuel over time.
The shavings jar had the bubbles between the bio and water disappear very quickly, less than a minute. But there are "wispy fingers" of something stuck on the bottom of the jar in the water, and something suspended between the fuel and water that MIGHT be more gray than the soap I have seen on this test in the past. After 1/2 hour, the bubbles are still present in the test jar that was not soaked in shavings. I did no pre-treatment of the shavings...should I have, and if so, what would that have been? The shavings were cheap-$5 for 5 lawn and leaf bags full. The place will also have on monday shavings that are a mix of walnut, oak, maple and other hardwoods that are used around here for livestock bedding.
Can someone tell me that the wispy fingers may be, the gray stuff suspended between the fuel/water, and why the bubbles disappeared so quickly?
BTW, I am in peanut country, so I am also considering roasted, unsalted peanut shells. Just got to find a place to get them in quantity for a low to no price.
thanks in advance...
update. The suspended stuff between the bio and water has become a dark gray. There is a main glob of "snot" and then it spreads out thinly from there. I am gonna assume that it is something being stripped out of the shavings. I will drain the fuel from the shavings jar tomorrow and refill with fuel, using the same shavings and see if they needed some kind of pre-treatment.
The grey stuff is almost certainly resin - it has low solubility in biodiesel and none in water. What I do with a fresh lot of shavings is to let the first batch of biodiesel sit and let the resin drop out in a couple of days; the next batch should be free of resin, provided no recirculation of the biodiesel takes place. The first batch can be water washed if preferred.
I've also come to decide it is resin. I am gonna drain the jar and replace the fuel and see if any fallout happens again. I will post results tonight...with anticipation of great results.