BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dewatering/Drying Washed Biodiesel    VIDEO On Testing For Water In Oil & Biodiesel

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

VIDEO On Testing For Water In Oil & Biodiesel
 Login/Join

posted
**EDIT**
John Galt pointed out I hadn't mentioned cleaning the vessel out after each test. I've just added text to the video to that point and updated the links below.

Great feedback!
***/Edit***

I just shot a video today of how to use a Deluxe Water Test Kit to test for water in oil.

These kits can be used to test for water in Biodiesel, waste or new veggie oil, or any oily substance.

Thought you'd all enjoy...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1LQfAYyD4o&fmt=22

The Non-HD version (in case the HD one won't play)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1LQfAYyD4o

-Graydon

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Graydon Blair,

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More
Utah Biodiesel Supply Blog - Tutorials, Articles, Pictures, & New Products!
Free Biodiesel Tutorial Videos - Learn to make Biodiesel through videos!
Utah Biodiesel Facebook Page - Stay up to date on all things Biodiesel!

Location: Utah | Registered: October 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nicely done. The so-called lo-res version conveys all the information required. Very informative up to the point where you had to 'change scales'. That was confusing. It's also not clear if you completely cleaned the test kit between tests when you were 'going to different scales'. One could get the impression that you kept adding stuff till it read within 14 psi. I suppose one could use a much less expensive non reagent solvent like acetone to clean the test kit, since you're letting it dry completely between tests?
Also it would be much more informative if you did a hot pan test that people are more familiar with and then tested the oil that showed a few bubbles in the HPT.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great video quality Graydon. I didn't watch all of it because of all the pauses to load were driving me nuts. Got to get some memory for the 'puter. That quality tells me if I ever get a camera I need a HD unit.

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: September 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Ah....good points on the indicating that I'm cleaning it out. I thought it'd get repetitive to show all that (we did shoot us cleaning it every time though), but I can convey that with titles down below.

Yep. The Hot Pan Test is actually the next one on tap to play with.

I even have a hot plate too. I'll have to do a comparison between the two in another video...

Yep. You can use pretty much any solvent. As long as it's been "dried". Most paint thinner would work fine.

I like the idea of doing the Hot Pan Test in a comparison video too.

-Graydon

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More

posted Hide Post
Raften,
If you start the video & then hit "pause" and go do something for about 10 minutes & then come back it'll let you watch it in full HD.

It's not your computers memory, just your internet connection. Running it in HD is pretty bandwidth intensive.

You can also run it in the non-hd format but YouTube kind of makes that one really fuzzy...

Glad to hear you're all enjoying it.

My goal this winter is to shoot several videos of things we all tell folks how to do that can be kind of complex (ie. the 3/27 test is on the list, breaking an emulsion with salt water, stuff like that).

Glad to hear you're enjoying it...
-Graydon

posted Hide Post
Graydon, Great to see what with all the "experimenting" going on, the important stuff 3/27 Titration etc is not forgotten.

stumpy Smile

Location: Derbyshire UK | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks...
Yep. There's a titration one (actually quite a few titration ones) and one on the 3/27 test in there too...

Several more are planned as well...
-Graydon