BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dewatering/Drying Washed Biodiesel    I can't get bio to dry

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I can't get bio to dry
 Login/Join

posted
I'm trying to dry a batch of water washed bio but can't get it to completely dry. Its been heated to 140 F and I circulate once every 3-4 hours. Just circlating alone doesn't do much,but I have a bubbler rod that has small holes drilled in it at the bottom and its connected to an aquarium pump. The rod seems to help dewater. A jar sample I pulled looks nice and clear but once it gets to room temp it gets cloudy. So I heated the same sample on a hot plate to 250F and put it in the frig and its still clear after one day. No doubt I need to get rid of the water but how? Maybe I have to keep using the bubbler longer. Any ideas?

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
heatbeater
-probably a caused by humidity in the air. I pump circulate the biodiesel at 55C and use a small amount of dry compressed air in the headspace to carry the moisture away. It usually takes about 8 - 10 hours of continuious pumping to get the water content below 500 ppm as determined by the WHW process. Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about using compressed air but like you said it haas be to dried.

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you need to make shure the bubble stone you use to dry is not sitting on the bottom because if it is it will continue to circulate water through the bio not letting it completely dry because some will want to settle to the bottom, i say circulate it and spray dry into cool dry air with the bio around 180* + for the fastest dry time

Location: md | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
not knowing what processor you have, I have the "evil" plastic conical bottom, I have found to let it bubble overnight with my stone in the very bottom of the cone will separate most of the water fro the fuel. Then I shut off the bubbler and let things sit for 10-30 minutes before I drain off the water. When I pump into my drying barrel and take a visual sample in a jar before starting the drying process, my fuel is almost completly dry. I close loop circulate it for an hour or two through a showerhead and that removes the rest of the water...no heat used unless winter time. After fuel meets a clear and bright test, it is run through a 10 micron filter and a fuel/water separator filter. Humidity is whatever it is here in Virginia...not Orlando humid but not the desert either.

Location: east coast, not by choice | Registered: November 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post