BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dewatering/Drying Washed Biodiesel    Newbie-wvo water test

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newbie-wvo water test
 Login/Join

posted
Hi, about to commence on biodiesel production on my newly constructed appleseed. I have about 50 gallons of wvo, and I've tested for water using the "weigh-heat-weigh" method as described on B100's website. Using a 5000g scale with a 1g resolution, I wieghed out:

Pan = 518g
Pan + oil = 2001g

wieght of oil = 1483g

Heated oil to 250 C and kept it there till it stopped bubbling.

Pan + oil = 1999g

Water boiled off= 2.0g

Percent water = 2.0g/1483g = 1.35%

PPM water = 1350ppm

Does my math look good and do I have wvo with a low enough water content to react without producing too much soap? I performed the hot pan test on another sample of the same oil that I had not boiled the water off and got many bubbles still. Wondering how I should interpret the hot pan test. Thanks!

Jesse Karner

Location: eugene, OR | Registered: April 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This might be helpful:
http://www.make-biodiesel.org/...for-water-in-vo.html
quote:
When testing VO feedstock for making BD, 1000 PPM is usually sufficient and up to 3000 PPM will work, however soap contamination in the finished BD can present a problem with increased water contamination of the feedstock.
Remove the water from the feedstock or remove the soap from the finished product, your choice.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post