BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dewatering/Drying Washed Biodiesel    Who's using quick n,dri for wvo?or bio?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who's using quick n,dri for wvo?or bio?
 Login/Join

posted
I'd like to try quick n,dri for my wvo . I think water is hindering but I could be wrong. Even after heating my wvo for 2 days I can still have steam form on the lid of the hot plate. I've tried a couple of AE's and they don't seem to respond. With my wvo titrating 10 and some in storage titrates 15 I"m set for a challenge no doubt. That's the way I like it.AH HA Big Grin

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm finding that it works very well for final 'polishing' of BD and VO blends. If you search some of the discussions in the link you will see where others are using it for more aggressive drying.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about some way to contain the q n, dri in the reactor tank and circulate the wvo thru or over it. My reactor is an open top drum.

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The fuel to be dried must be in contact with the grains of Q&D. A bag of Q&D in a container of fuel won't do much good. The Q&D website shows it should be used in a column to be effective. http://biodiesel.coorga.com/

posted Hide Post
I tried it once, don't like it, it's just added complexity and added cost that to me is not worth it.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
I tried it once, don't like it, it's just added complexity and added cost that to me is not worth it.

Fab did you use it on wvo ? I can see where sometimes something might be the magic wand and ends up being an extra cost and if it doesn,t work good you just set yourself up for discourgement. With the higher titrating oil I use I'd like to use AE but I think water is a problem ,but I could be wrong. I see there's a chemical water test but it @$200.

posted Hide Post
I use centrifuges on wvo, there is initial expense but they wont dissapoint, they clean and dewater wvo every time, after the initial expense they will last for years.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are there any problems trying to dewater partially hygronated oils ? Also the company claims 1 pound will hold 12 gallons of water before it has to be regenerated. 12 gallons of water is equal to the volume of 3 veggie oil cubies. Are there certain conditions where wvo can retain the water ans make it harder for the Q N' D to work? In my case I would probably heat and circulate to dewater than use Q n' D for a final clean-up.

posted Hide Post
quote:
In my case I would probably heat and circulate to dewater than use Q n' D for a final clean-up.

That will probably work OK if you filter to at least 20µ before the Q&D, then to 5µ.

posted Hide Post
I used a QnD column on some wvo that was partially converted to bio due to water (Orange Juice) and it did not work at all. I pumped the OJ through for an hour and it still came out bright orange.

posted Hide Post
I made a tower according to Corga, and dried 40lts of pre filtered WVO. took the best part of 12 days to pass through the Q N Dry by gravity,Frown Not impressed as it formed a "plug" just under the surface of the gel that was almost impervious to the flow of WVO.

And getting the stuff to regenerate is a nightmare.

Ill only ever use the stuff to dry my water washed Bio in future.

Location: Derbyshire UK | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
My thoughts tend to agree with Stumpy..

I tried to make a column using 2" pvc down flowing..for drying bio..same results..QnD swelled and plugged the pipe. yes the 2" diameter pipe.

for drying..I have some that's been sitting for over a year..its still in the same state. wet. so If I have to heat it dry it..what do I gain? why not heat the BD to dry it? for sure there are lots of question and reasons for not heating BD. just not trying to get into them here.

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had good experience with Quik 'n' Dri™ for final 'polish' drying a variety of fuels and fuel mixes.
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/ev...=230103035#230103035

The mfg recommends a minimum diameter tube of 4".

posted Hide Post
I'm not but would love to, does anyone know where I can buy this stuff in Europe it sounds like the answer to my prayers

Location: Cork | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post