BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dewatering/Drying Washed Biodiesel    QnD testing results
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

QnD testing results
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graydon Blair:
Seeing as my site took a dump yesterday and part of today

"Stercus accidit"

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john galt:
quote:
Originally posted by Graydon Blair:
Seeing as my site took a dump yesterday and part of today

"Stercus accidit"

http://www.google.com/search?q=Stercus+accidit&sourceid...1B3GGGL_enUS278US278

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Oh man, that made it much more bearable!
Loved that one!

-Graydon

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More
Utah Biodiesel Supply Blog - Tutorials, Articles, Pictures, & New Products!
Free Biodiesel Tutorial Videos - Learn to make Biodiesel through videos!
Utah Biodiesel Facebook Page - Stay up to date on all things Biodiesel!

Location: Utah | Registered: October 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm
quote:
Originally posted by QUIKNDRI:
...and you have offended us so much that we are thinking of no longer providing previews of our products on this forum. What does that say about you and how much you are working for biodieselers?
That reminds me of the time when Alcoa threatened the Australian Government that they would just walk away from one of the largest and Richest Bauxite deposits in the World and not develop it if the Federal Government did not do what Alcoa wanted.
At the time I told anyone who cared to listen:,
"Sure, Alcoa is just going to walk away from one of the richest Bauxite deposits in the world unless they get their way.
Pull the other one"

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been testing Quik 'n' Dri and find that it integrates with VO fuel processing quite well.
http://biodiesel.coorga.com/quik.html

The cold upflow processor produces clear dry VO. The upflow is run at temperatures below 10°C 50°F to separate the PHO, fats and the water associated with them. The clear dry oil is mixed with kerosene\D1+jetB then filtered, settled and filtered into the vehicle tank. The VO from the upflow settling can be HPT moisture tested to check for dryness. The solvents make filtering and mixing the fuel blend much easier in the cold temperatures. The only disadvantage is that HPTs are only valid before the solvents are added to the mix.

I wondered if the barrels of VO fuel mix might absorb moisture from the air, so I experimented with some Quik&Dry. It seemed like a good idea to add some Q&D to the processing as a trace moisture absorber and an indirect indicator of the moisture content in the fuel. I'm using an inverted 5gal water cooler bottle with a hole cut in the bottom to support a reusable 'canvas' shopping bag for an intermediate filter\funnel into the last settling barrel. The water cooler jug neck fits into the bung on the 30 gal poly barrel.

As it happens a UniversalWaterFilter fits snugly into the neck of the jug.
The cartridge is easily disassembled, and the bag containing the water treatment particles removed to provide space for about 75ml of Q&D with headroom for expansion with the cap replaced.

This Q&D column is good assurance of dry fuel and as an indicator of any moisture in the fuel mix.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tested some bd and the resultant Quik n Dri is now somewhat gooey. Would this indicate fat in the bd? It looked clear to start with.
Joe

Location: Peterborough | Registered: May 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
It's normal for Quick N Dri to go from crystal to gelatinous slimy goo as it absorbs water.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Please excuse me if I missed the answer further back, but what is the prefaired way to use the Quink N Dry ? ie I gather that a tower is ideal but up flow or down flow and at what rate.

Location: Derbyshire UK | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandy Don,
quote:
Originally posted by Dandy Don:
. I added 20grams of QnD and left it at RT for 24 hours. At the 24 hour point, I filtered out the QnD through a coffee filter. I bloted off the excess methanol and weighed the QnD. It weighed 40 grams.
DD

Lets try to answer Rich DaTech's question: Does QuiknDri absorb methanol? Will someone who as some virgin QuiknDri (Graydon?) please place a weighed amount of it in virgin methanol and after a suitable period (6,12,or 24 hrs)drain it, blot it and reweigh it. This should answer the first question.
Then we can move on to the question of absorbing water from methanol.
Now prepare a solution of water in methanol. Lets start with 5% water in methanol prepared by adding 5 mls of water (distilled if available) in 95 mls of virgin methanol or better 5 mls of water in methanol to a total volume of 100 mls. Repeat the same experiment (run them both at the same time if you wish) with a carefully weighed amount of QuiknDri (5 or 10 g of Quik&Dri.
We can repeat similar experiments with dry biodiesel and even WVO which are contaminated with known amounts of water, water & methanol etc. and build up a reliable base of knowledge.
Sincerely,

posted Hide Post
been offline busy with life for awhile. I wont bother wasting time on Qnds personal comments. They speak volumes about the person behind them. Your arguments are the personal attacks of the playground bully, attacking the man instead of the ball as we say when people ignore logical fallacies to attack the speaker whilst avoiding rational discussion of the facts.I was surprised to find them as Rick assured me he and the other vendors had asked QnD to stop posting and ruining his own press.

Regarding what I know and don't know if you had any scientific understanding you would know that you can know what a thing isn't even if you don't know what it is. And this is established by testing and observing the results. You will note that a later posting confirmed that that the material being tested was indeed a garden type polyacrylamide as I suggested.

Plus I think you protest too much just because I do have a good idea of what you sell. No other reason for you to be such an nob. You had no problem when I asked exactly the same question about polyacrylate; you rushed to explain what a fair point it was and how your product was better. When I repeated the question with polyacrylamide instead you were silent on facts and hostile and personally insulting. Not hard to see the pattern is it?

You have advanced biodiesel? lol you knew almost nothing about your 'own'(repackaged) product when you came here and have depended on our member vendors to do the research for you. All you have done is brought polymers to our attention. You have contributed precious little fact apart from that.

Yes I do learn as I go but I am a quick study and more importantly I understand the nature of scientific proof and experiment and favour it over sales hype, vague promises and evasions. You could try reading Karl Popper on the logic of scientific discovery if you feel like catching up. Or some of the factual Asimov texts if you want an easier read.

As for what your threats to take your ball and go home mean about me; they mean I wont be bullied or threatened into silence by nobs but they say a lot more about you...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ant,

mathematical elegance -- desired result achieved with minimal complication

Location: Manchester UK | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Location: Western PA | Registered: August 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quick n Free; we did it first link stripping FFAs with sodium silicate.

mathematical elegance -- desired result achieved with minimal complication

Location: Manchester UK | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So what's the verdict on this stuff from a commercial producer standpoint? Is this product worth it?

I'd need to be able to push 250 gallons of oil with solids content <5 microns, in about 4 hours, so around 6 GPM.

If this product actually holds 12 gallons of water per lb. it seems like 50 pounds would need to be cleaned every 25-30K gallons? Assuming a 2% initial water content.

I'm just thinking outloud, but do you guys think that a flow-rate like that would be achievable with a thorough level of absorption?

What's the bottom line here guys?

posted Hide Post
I built a quick PVC tower to test some QnD in and discovered one issue anyone considering it should be aware of. I used a similar design as listed on the QnD tower design page . They specify using a 30 mesh screen for the filter bed and list the material size as 1000 micron.

"Quik 'n' Dri™ come in granular form 1000 microns in size".

Not having any 30 mesh screen I cut up a 100 micron bucket filter and used that. 30 mesh is 595 micron, 100 microns is almost 6 times smaller. But even this is not small enough.

After setting everything up I filled the column and using a gravity feed to slowly drain some BD off into a tall glass beaker. That is when I discovered a potential problem with the design. Seems the size of the granulars are not uniform and may contain a much smaller dust size particles.

The fuel was very clear, so clear I could make out small particles that looked like water droplets or air bubbles falling to the bottom of the beaker. After taking 4 samples I realized these were actually small clear particles of QnD falling to the bottom. When I previously bench tested this I used a coffee filter and did not notice any fall out. I let this beaker set for a few days to be sure, they stacked up on the bottom like little clear dust particles.

To work around this issue and finish drying a batch of fuel I installed one of those cheap inline 4 micron fuel filter after the column and retested. Nothing further was observed passing the filter. That worked well for about 50 gallons of BD, tonight that filter stopped up and it was clogged with fine gel looking particles. I also have a 10 micron oil filter coming out of the wash tank directly before it goes into the column. So I'm pretty positive this could cause some fuel system issues if left unchecked.

Has anyone else noticed this?

-Ken

Recycling & Green Fuels Research: www.altfuelsgroup.org
Ozone Eating Toys For Big Boys !!: www.suncoastexotics.com
Carefully Maintaining A Carbon Neutral Footprint...

Location: Southeastern Ohio | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear someone else noticed this. I'm planning on that same type setup with the storage tank.

I currently use those cotton wound water filters on the way out of the reactor before washing. That takes it down to 5m, so might just move that one over to the drying side before the storage tanks and let it catch the particles.

-Ken

Recycling & Green Fuels Research: www.altfuelsgroup.org
Ozone Eating Toys For Big Boys !!: www.suncoastexotics.com
Carefully Maintaining A Carbon Neutral Footprint...

Location: Southeastern Ohio | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just used my quick n dri for the first time and so far like it but here's what I noticed. I had the QnD in my druy barrel where I was drizzling fuel thru it from my drywash..
The next day I water washed and when I was done I sent that batch to the dry tank. My QnD is between 2 1 micron filters and then I have a long pair of panty hose full haning to the bottom. 1o hours later I realized I left my new QnD hanging in the top of the barrel and the panthose full and was pissed because I thought I was gonna have to dry it out already. Well with 45 gallons its safe to say that it did not dry it all but everything was still crystalized. I know what is is suppossed to change to because I had a small bucket with a small amount in the bottom that turned to goo..

Why do you think the part that was in the wet fuel didnt absorb after 10 hours.. thats concerning. Do you think the 1 micron filter blocked it?

Lisa 2006 Ford F250 6.0L Powerstroke with 12 inch lift

Location: TX | Registered: August 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post