BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dewatering/Drying Washed Biodiesel    QuiknDri physical parameters

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

QuiknDri physical parameters
 Login/Join

posted
I would like to know something about the physical characteristics of QuiknDri in order to begin to think about column design. Namely the void volume of a given volume of the material and the surface area per unit of material. The easiest way to estimate the void volume is to put a know amount of material into an appropiate container on a scale and add some fluid (not water but maybe dry BD, kerosene etc) until the fluid level just covers the QuiknDri and reweigh. Then carefully weigh a known volume of the fluid to calculate the bulk density of the fluid.
The surface area parameter will be more difficult. Usually this is determined by carefully measuring the adsorption of gases (Nitrogen) on the material with more sophisticated equipment and provided by the manufacturing company. Coorga doesn't seem to understand this so we'll just have to estimate it ourselves.
Again, someone who has some of this material, it has been described as crystals? Are they regular and of uniform size? It is difficult to see from the published pictures. Using a simple magnifying glass and a millimeter rule how big are the particles and what is the range of sizes and percent of the various sizes.
(Obviously as the material becomes hydrated the sizes will change but the advantage of a column system is that some portion of the column remains relatively unaffected until the column becomes substantially exhausted.)
Some simple observations like this will be greatly appreciated.

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
The crystals are of irregular shape and vary in size from about 2mm to about 6mm. roughly.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick G:
I would like to know something about the physical characteristics of QuiknDri in order to begin to think about column design. ...

Since you're the one who wants to over-engineer a simple system then why don't you get a sample and do the research yourself. I'm too busy using a simple Q&D column in my fuel processing to do your homework for you.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RickDaTech:
The crystals are of irregular shape and vary in size from about 2mm to about 6mm. roughly.

Thank you Rick. I appreciate your help.