BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dewatering/Drying Washed Biodiesel    Water wash then dry wash???
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Water wash then dry wash???
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I think you guys are missing the point and trying to push your ways onto others. Old school or not, water washing works. Drywashing works. Woodchips work. What people have to do is take the knowledge given in this forum and experiment to see what works best for them.

I happen to do a 5% prewash, water wash once, bubble dry with heat, and then filter through my drywash (amberlite) for three hours to polish the fuel. It is a bit more work, but let me tell you, my Duramax runs like a champ on Tim's B100. 11K miles and still going strong. It works for me and is worth the little extra effort I put into it.

After experimenting with several differnt processes, I chose this way because it works for ME. It produces great fuel, one wash does not produce massive amounts of toxic waste, and I prolong the life of my resin.

My 2 cents.

Tim

posted Hide Post
how long do you bubble dry?

what temp do you bubble dry?

Jetta 2002 ; 6 hole nozzles, chip, yellow koni, gli springs, neuspeed RR sway bar, skid plate, SS brakes, TT shifter, TT bushings, GTi FR brakes
Jetta 2006 chipped, Bilstein Sport, Neuspeed Sport Springs, Neuspeed endlinks, DG SS, Evolution skid plate, Eibach RSB, B100

Location: Montreal | Registered: August 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I let it go until it is clear and I can see the bottom of my reactor tank. Usually over night. If it is not clear the next day, I'll turn on my heater which operates at 125 F. It will usually clear up fast once heat is added. I have a 40 gallon Freedon Fueler. Some people laugh but it makes great fuel and is easy to use. After it is clear and dry I run it through my drywash tower to polish it.

1. React, prewash (Once 27/3 is successful), let settle over night
2. Next day, drain glycerol, do one water wash, drain after a couple of hours, let settle over night
3. Next day, drain off any remaining water in the bottom of the tank, then bubble from there and you know the rest, heat, polish, fill truck, and crack a beer.

I usually start my next batch before aI run out of fuel so I can take my time with the steps.
Other than the initial reation process which might take a few hours of my time, the other steps are 20 or so minutes hands on time here and there.

Good luck.
Tim