BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dewatering/Drying Washed Biodiesel    Soap in drying tank.

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Soap in drying tank.
 Login/Join

posted
I have a spot of soap in the bottom of my drying tank, about the size of a paper plate. This is after 125(gal).
Is this because I'm not washing enough?
Bax

Ci siamo persi!
Not lost now!
Getting to where I need to be!

Location: SC | Registered: November 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bax

-as long as there is water in the bio, there will be soap, more so if you are using koh. What you discribe seems to be exessive, but the bottom of the tank is a good place for it. have you water tested a sample of your dry fuel? the water from this test must be crystal clear. Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Tom, I use NAoH. I do a medium shake-em test, that goes clear after 10 min or so. I pull a sample after the 4th or so wash when I do this. And I also do a HPT before processing.
I have noticed that if I just pour water in the sample it is clear almost as fast as it can pass through the BD . If I spray it in the sample the water is still cloudy.

About the wash:
BD around 100'
wash water hot out of the tap.

About the BD:

Passes 3/27 @68-69.
Stays clear in the frig overnight.

Maybe a sock filter will catch the left over?

Bax

Ci siamo persi!
Not lost now!

posted Hide Post
Bax

-"hot water" using hot water to wash is a safety step ie not likely to cause an emulsion.(suggest hot for the firt two washs then switch to cold) I use cold water, thats what the boss uses to rinse soap from the laudery Big Grin. The odd time I will transfer a bit of byproduct to the wash tank and will see an emulsion forming, then I will turn the element on , heat it up and proceed. I found that using hot water takes several more washes to get the soap out.
-do you have a ph meter? they are great for telling when the wash is done. just set it to 7.0 on the water used for washing, and when the water has the same ph at the end of the wash, it's done I never use the shake test anymore to determine if the bio has been washed enough, only use it after the bio has been dried, just to check for soap, this system has never failed. when I do the shake test after drying, I don't kill it but shake it until the water and bio are completely mixed, leave it for an hour, check for the water clarity and a soap layer at the interface of the water/bio.
-I run B100 in a 05 dodge 3500, so I don't want any soap in that!!. Tom

-do you do a 5% pre wash before removing the by product?

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Tom, No ph meter.

I do 5% pre wash.

With you on the shake test. I started out shaking the you-know-what out of it, the water would go clear in a day or two. I'll have to take a pic of my unique shake bottles. Big Grin

Bax

Ci siamo persi!
Not lost now!

posted Hide Post
Unique sample or test bottles Big Grin

The one on the right is a 3/27.

The one on the left is a conversation piece Cool

Bax

Ci siamo persi!
Not lost now!