BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dewatering/Drying Washed Biodiesel    5% water pre wash after glycerin removal

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

5% water pre wash after glycerin removal
 Login/Join

posted
Can you do a 5% pre wash immediately following removal of glycerin? I know this is not the normal method but why wouldn't this work? Main reason is keeping water out of glycerin for meth recovery.

If it aint broke, dont fix it! But its ok to take it apart and see how it operates.

posted Hide Post
I have no experience with the 5% pre wash but I would think that if the glycerin was not present for it you would end up with a GIANT emulsion after it goes through the mixing pump...
I also think it would just be called a "wash" as I believe the pre means pre glycerin draining.
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can you do a 5% pre wash immediately following removal of glycerin?

If your goal is to make a huge emulsion, this will be great technique! (As Jon says.)

The important thing about the glycerine pre-wash is that the ratio of glycerine to water stay high enough. As long as this is true, it prevents emulsion.

Andrew

http://biodieselcommunity.org
03 Dodge 2500 B100 homebrew
79 Rabbit B100 homebrew

Location: Northern California | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is this only due to the mixing? As we remove glycerin prior to water washing. What does the glycerin do that prevents an emulsion?
Thanks for the comments.

If it aint broke, dont fix it! But its ok to take it apart and see how it operates.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Is this only due to the mixing?

Yes. The mixing is why the pre wash works as well as it does.

quote:
What does the glycerin do that prevents an emulsion?

It "breaks" the emulsion due to it's high affinity for water. Essentially, it pulls the water out of the emulsion. But, only if there is enough glycerine compared to the amount of water.

HTH.

Andrew

http://biodieselcommunity.org
03 Dodge 2500 B100 homebrew
79 Rabbit B100 homebrew

Location: Northern California | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
More here...
http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/breakingemulsions/

I personally find that using Salt Water breaks emulsions with greater ease these days (and seems to do it much faster too).

-Graydon

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More
Utah Biodiesel Supply Blog - Tutorials, Articles, Pictures, & New Products!
Free Biodiesel Tutorial Videos - Learn to make Biodiesel through videos!
Utah Biodiesel Facebook Page - Stay up to date on all things Biodiesel!

Location: Utah | Registered: October 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post