BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Glossary    Abbreviations

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Abbreviations
 Login/Join

posted
I'm fairly new to this stuff (a couple of years), and I've been pretty focused on just doing what I was told (thanks Paul Wink, so I haven't spent a whole lot of time on the forums. Now that my process works pretty well (and consistently), I need to 'refine' it. So, I'm reading posts on methanol recover, and dry wash, etc.

One thing that I run into is abbreviations I don't know.

I was wondering if it would be possible to build a page of standard forum abbreviations? I was thinking of a single page and not a discussion (with many posts). If necessary, there could be sections specific to each forum (quality, equipment, esterification, methanol recovery).

If this is considered a good idea, then perhaps a sticky in the appropriate forums to the page.

Or has this already been done and I've missed it? :O

Location: Mt Airy, MD | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It probably should be a sticky (if it isn't already).

I'm still guessing on some. Some things have multiple abbreviations.
Likewise, there are a few abbreviations that could be ambiguous, but are usually clear from the context.

AE - Acid Esterification

AGW - Anthropogenic Global Warming

Alkaline - Basic solution (pH > 7). Usually having a base such as NaOH or KOH added.

ATF - Automatic Transmission Fluid

B5 - 5% Biodiesel, 95% Diesel

B20 - 20% Biodiesel, 80% Diesel

B99 - 99 (or 99.9%) Biodiesel, 1% Diesel (some tax regulations require slight amounts of Diesel, and thus this is a commonly available commercial mix).

B100 - 100% Biodiesel

BD, Bio - Biodiesel

CAT - Catalytic Converter

CAT - Caterpillar (heavy equipment manufacturer).

Caustic - Generally considered to be either Lye (Sodium Hydroxide, NaOH), or Caustic Potash (Potassium Hydroxide, KOH).

cc = cm3 = ml - Cubic Centimeter, Milliliter.

CDI - Common Rail Diesel Injection (Mercedes)

CH3OH - Methyl Alcohol (Methanol)

CNG, NG - Compressed Natural Gas (Methane, or mix of short chain alkanes primarily Methane and Ethane)

CO - Carbon Monoxide. Product of incomplete Combustion.

CO2 - Carbon Dioxide

CRD - Common Rail Diesel (Chrysler Jeep)

D, D100 - Diesel

Dino - Diesel (or Gasoline)

DMV - Department of Motor Vehicles (often local/state)

DOE - Department of Energy

DOT - Department of Transportation

DPF - Diesel Particulate Filter

Dr Pepper - Phrase coined to describe small test batches of biodiesel such as could be made in a Dr Pepper® soda bottle. Also used to describe simple methods for a variety of other biodiesel related tests and procedures.

E10 - 10% Ethyl Alcohol (Ethanol), 90% Gasoline

E85 - 85% Ethyl Alcohol (Ethanol), 15% Gasoline

EPA - Environmental Protection Agency

ETOH - Ethyl Alcohol (Ethanol)

FAME - Fatty Acid Methyl Ester (biodiesel)

FFA - Free Fatty Acids

FPHE - Flat Plate Heat Exchanger

g, or gm - gram

g, or gal - gallon, usually considered a US Liquid Gallon, (3.785 liters)

GFCI - Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter... Required for plugs around water.

Glycerin, Glycerol - Usually considered the byproduct of biodiesel production, and contains a mix of Glycerin, Free Fatty Acids, and salts.

GM - General Motors (Chevrolet)

GVW - Gross Vehicle Weight

H2 - Hydrogen in elemental form is a dimer.

H2O - Water

H2SO4 - Sulfuric Acid, or Battery Acid, commonly used in Acid Esterification.

HCl - Hydrochloric Acid, or Muratic Acid.

HEET - Fuel De-Icer. Good source for Methanol in small quantities

HHO - Product from electrolysis of water, used as very questionable fuel supplement.

HHO - Home Heating Oil

HIH (TIH) - Hose in Hose. Usually a fuel hose inside of a hot water hose.

HOH (TOH) - Hose on Hose. Fuel and hot water hoses running next to each other.

HTAE - High Temperature Acid Esterification

IP - Injection Pump

IsoHEET - Fuel deicer, made of isopropanol rather than methanol. Some people prefer it for titration solutions.

K - Kerosene

K, Kilo - Thousand, or Kilogram (kg)

K - Potassium

KOH - Potassium Hydroxide (also known as Caustic Potash)

LNG, NG - Liquified Natural Gas (Methane, or mix of short chain alkanes primarily Methane and Ethane)

LPG, LP - Liquified Petroleum Gas (Propane, or mix of short chain alkanes, ethane, propane, and butane).

MeOH - Methyl Alcohol (Methanol)

Methoxide - Sodium Methoxide, Sodium Methylate, Potassium Methoxide, Potassium Methylate. It is available in pure crystalline form, but generally considered to be a dilute mixture formed by mixing Methanol with Sodium (or Potassium) Hydroxide.

mg - milligram

MPG - Miles per Gallon (usually considered US Liquid Gallons unless otherwise specified, (3.785 liters)

MPH - Miles per Hour

Na - Sodium

NaOH - Sodium Hydroxide (also known as lye)

NaHCO3 - Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda). A weak base with low toxicity often used to neutralize acids.

NG, LNG, CNG - Natural Gas (Methane, or mix of short chain alkanes primarily Methane and Ethane)

NOx - Mix of Nitrogen oxides.

NREL - National Renewable Energy Laboratory

O2 - Oxygen in elemental form is a dimer.

O3 - Ozone, another form of oxygen, considered a pollutant in the lower atmosphere.

pH - Measurement of Acidity of substance. Low numbers (0,1) are highly acidic. High numbers (14) are highly basic or alkaline. 7 is Neutral.

PM - Particulate Matter

PM - Personal (Private) Message

RUG - Regular Unleaded Gasoline

SOAP - Considered to be a salt from a Free Fatty Acid chain and either Sodium or Potassium. Also may be glycerin salts. May also be just free fatty acids. Note, commercial soaps also often contain phosphates.

SVO - Straight Vegetable Oil. Can be used to describe either new or used oil, but use as unconverted fuel source.

TEFC Motor - Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled Motor

TD - Turbo Diesel

TDCI - Turbo Diesel Common Rail Injected (Ford)

TID - Turbo Intercooled Diesel

Triglyceride - The basic component of vegetable oil. Contains 3 fatty acid chains connected to a glycerin backbone.

UCO - Used Cooking Oil

UMO - Used Motor Oil

UVO - Used Vegetable Oil

VO - Vegetable Oil

VW - Volkswagen

WMO - Waste Motor Oil

WVO - Waste Vegetable Oil

Yellow Grease - Another term for waste vegetable oils

Thanks Jon for some additional suggestions.
Also, see the expanded "Glossary" in the archives:

http://www.biodieseldiscussion...howthread.php?t=1773

This message has been edited. Last edited by: keelec,

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice job Keelec!
There is also a glossary section HERE.
If you get a chance Keelec, you should post all these acronyms that I missed into that section.

Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jon,

I can't believe I missed Acid Esterification and FPHE (updated above).

I had asked about stickies, but perhaps you're right that it just should be moved (or reposted) to the correct forum.

Perhaps I'll consider expanding the glossary that is in the archives.

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey this is great! I followed the link to the glossary section and the archive.

But I was wondering if it would be worth making it easily available everywhere. Either a sticky in the forums, or a 'Glossary' link on the page. Of course, the downside is that everything becomes a sticky or link.

Location: Mt Airy, MD | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post