BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Oil Collection, Filtering, Dewatering  Hop To Forums  Oil Collection    Check out this Filtering Set up??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Check out this Filtering Set up??
 Login/Join

posted
I haven't looked on here for this type of set up, but in all my previous research/reading I have not come across this type. I thought it was pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...YJIQ&feature=related

Anyone use this horizontal set up?

Location: West Texas | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DCS>
posted
I have come across this Vid many times and never really watched it till now.
I don't think that would be a system that would allow for very much throughput nor very effective settling/cleaning. The depth of the oil isn't even a full drum width and I'm not sure if the exit of the bottom drum is right above the entry point or it is plumbed to the other end of the drum.
The top drum is also peculiar as it feeds to the filter through the same pipe as the the bottom drum. The guy says he adds clean oil and kero there but then also says he tilts the drum so the nasty oil can run to the bottom one????

The fact his filter is full of fats doesn't indicate a real effective process to me either. The ability to remove fats and produce clear oil is one of the main advantages of any settling system.
While I also have doubts about that setups particle removing abilities, I have no doubt about it's water removal effectiveness. It wouldn't have any effect in lowering water content at all.

I think the conventional upright settling design would be far more effective. In my experience, height is more effective than capacity, even if the capacity is significantly more than that of a taller drum.
This setup has very little effective height and not much capacity either! I don't think this setup would get anything like near the kind of oil John or myself would expect from our systems in any qty more than a few liters a week. It may be OK for taking out the chunky bits but I don't think one would see clear oil coming out at any rate.

The guy could have probably saved more space in his shed and got a better setup by welding 2 drums together end on end or feeding the bottom drum into the top with a hose from the side.

Don't mean to be a downer but I would have to give that system a 2/10 at best.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post