BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Oil Collection, Filtering, Dewatering  Hop To Forums  Oil Collection    thread size, drain on IBC Tote (275 gal)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

thread size, drain on IBC Tote (275 gal)
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,
My main WVO storage tank is a 275 gal IBC Tote. I think it has a 2" ball valve on the bottom. I'd like to get that down to a 3/4" ID reinforced poly hose that I will run into my processor (or a garden hose). I'm trying to save trips to the hardware store and wondered if anyone knew the thread size for the ball valve on the bottom. Can I use PVC? Should I use some black iron? What's best.

I've been drawing off the top of my tank for 3 years. Last summer I ran it down so I was drawing the crap off the bottom. Now I'd like to always draw from the bottom so I never have an entire batch of crappy oil.

Thanks!

Vermont Home Brewer (learning)

Location: Vermont | Registered: August 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is a 2'', you should be able to reduce to 3/4''. I would use steel, 2'' black is hard to find, but galv. will work fine.

Location: Central WI | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use PVC. Don't use galvanized. It will promote polymerization and will get all gross and slimy and eventually clog. 2" female PVC threaded/slip adapter > 2" X 3/4" PVC bushing > 3/4" hose barb

posted Hide Post
Thanks! I was getting excited for spring and bio season, but since we have snow in the forecast for the next 7 days this project might have to wait a bit longer...

Vermont Home Brewer (learning)

Location: Vermont | Registered: August 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is similar to kirkh. Instead of 3/4" barb, i use a nipple from TSC or Ace Hardware with pipe thread/hose thread. I also use a number of simple hose valves.

David Norwood

2001 F350 7.3 DI purchased new by me and it is the first DI experimented with and talked about on this forum.

Updated 1/2011 Alternative Fuel User Since 2003-vo is always in my fuel. Only one fuel tank. GPI/CIM-TEK spin on filterhead and 10 micron filter. Superchip. Hutch and Harpoon mods 2010. Diesel inline filter between tank and Airtex E2236 fuel pump (rated to 110 psi).Fuel pressure gauge. HOH for fuel line heat from tank to 12v lift pump. Two 12v 36" heaters, one before add on filter and one before OEM filter.

Cool weather mixes updated 2010. 100% vo to 70°. 66% to 35°. 50% to 10°.

Location: Upstate South Carolina , USA | Registered: December 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post