BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Oil Collection, Filtering, Dewatering  Hop To Forums  Oil Collection    gelatin to clean dirty oil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

gelatin to clean dirty oil
 Login/Join

posted
From lifehacker

J. Kenji Lopez-Alt of The Food Lab breaks down how and why this technique works in the link below, but I’m going to go ahead and share this game-changing method with you. First, let your oil cool, so as not to burn your precious self. Pour some water into a pot and sprinkle with gelatin. (You’ll need half a cup of water and a teaspoon of powdered gelatin for every quart of oil you plan on clarifying.) Let the gelatin bloom for a few minutes and then bring the water to a simmer, stirring until the gelatin dissolves. Add the dissolved gelatin to your dirty, filthy oil, and stir, stir, stir. Cover it all up and place in the fridge overnight. The oil will float to the top, leaving behind all sorts of burnt bits and gunk in a neat gelatin disk. Pour it off, discard the disk of doom that remains, and use your clarified oil to fry up something tasty.

I think this could work for removing the junk from really bad oil. What you think?[/B]

posted Hide Post
Well, its going to remove anything that would settle out anyway. Might be able to argue it will also pull some more moisture out of the oil due to the hygroscopic nature of a near-saturated sugar solution.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
near-saturated sugar solution.

what sugar are you referring to?

It will require about half a cup of gelatin to clean 5 gal of UVO.
Unless one can find a cheap source of gelatin, this is going to be an expensive way to clean UVO.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I suppose, the proposal is straight gelatin, I was thinking making a bunch of actual Jell-o. Smile

Gelatin itself is still pretty hygroscopic, not as well as something like a hydrogel would do as compared to water absorption per unit mass, but still.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gelatin itself is still pretty hygroscopic

Exactly. Besides the expense of gelatin, I object to adding any water to the UVO. If one wanted to use this method, then adding the powdered gelatin directly to the UVO might be a better idea.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post