Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wrong Fuel!
 Login/Join

posted
Had an apparently blind attendant fill up my '06 Liberty CRD with unleaded last night. It is "illegal" for me to do it myself. It was nearly empty...I drove about 15 miles at freeway speeds thinking it was water. Looked at the receipt and heart sank.

The station is accepting full responsiblity, it is at the dealership being checked out, but since we have had less than satisfactory service and repair from Chrysler, what should we insist they check out, replace, repair?

Location: Oregon | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never done it myself, but from what I've read on multiple Diesel forums, if you simply drain the gas and fill it with fresh fuel then you should be OK.

I *always* watch when I'm in New Jersey and need to let one of there minimum wage rocket scientists pump my fuel ;-)

------------------------
1985 Mercedes 300D with Greasecar kit.
1993 Chevy 3500, my own conversion.

Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is "illegal" for me to do it myself.

WHAT!?! There are places in this country where you can't pump your own fuel?

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just Oregon, as far as I know. I don't live there, but I read it's not illegal to pump your own diesel there. Right?

'05 CRD B100
'01 TDi B100

Location: Colorado | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oregon is one of the few states that has no self service (as someone else mentioned, New Jersey may also be the same).

There is self-service for Commercial fueling.

And, Diesel is a bit complicated.

Oregon also has PUC (weight-mile-taxes) for the larger trucks, who then pay less fuel taxes.

So...

You can get card-lock fuel at a few stations with a business (with or without PUC).
Some filling stations have a "MotorHome" lane that is self-service without a PUC.

Since my FIAT (gasoline) has a short fill-spout, I've convinced some gas station attendants to allow me to top-off my own tank. I get about a 2-Gallon fillup if I don't top it off.

Soon, Oregon is trying to pass a law prohibiting topping off the tanks. I'm not quite sure what I'll do in that case.

I don't know about running 100% gasoline. It is not uncommon for it to happen. I've seen a gas station attendant siphoning gas at a station once because of a similar accident.

The key is to pay attention to what goes into your vehicle.

I'd siphon the tank.
Probably have the station pay for a new fuel filter and oil change.
Then see how it goes.

I have no idea what damage it will do to your engine, but I would imagine that you'd see something fuel related within 10,000 miles if anything is going to happen (more oil consumption, bad compression, etc). If your jeep "checks out" after 10,000 miles, then there would be no basis for replacing the engine 100,000 miles later.

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a great idea...

Especially for Oregon and New Jersey...
But, also in general.

Let's incorporate Square Spouts and Round Spouts.

I'm not sure how to deal with the big and little spouts... but it can't be that complicated to make a filling spout that would be difficult to mix up. I'm not sure about what to do with older vehicles, but one could certainly design an optional adapter plate that could be retrofitted.

I remember my old '76 AMC Hornet.
No catalytic Converter.
But, technically required unleaded gas which was expensive and hard to find.

It had a little ring that would exclude the "leaded" fuel nozzle.

I think the dealer told us how to carefully clip the ring out!!!!!!!! (which, of course, we would never have considered doing)

Ok,
So the low tech approach of putting a round tube into a square hole may be too complicated to convert to, in part due to dealing with the super-sized truck nozzles. But, one could certainly put a sensor into the fill spout and the car that would trigger an alarm if the wrong fuel was used (either way, gas or Diesel). It could probably even be made pretty low tech with a polar magnet and a shutter to exclude the wrong spout.

posted Hide Post
Because you have a party accepting responsibility,have the fuel pumps and injectors checked/replaced. Drain the tank and purge the lines. (Do you trust the dealer?)

As this group knows gasoline has little if any lubrication .

*I doubt any components are really damaged. Unless the tank was dry empty, some diesel is still mixed in this.
If all the fuel is removed including engine bay filters and lines, and refilled with correct fuel and new filters, i expect it to run right within minutes.*

David Norwood

2001 F350 7.3 DI purchased new by me and it is the first DI experimented with and talked about on this forum.

Updated 1/2011 Alternative Fuel User Since 2003-vo is always in my fuel. Only one fuel tank. GPI/CIM-TEK spin on filterhead and 10 micron filter. Superchip. Hutch and Harpoon mods 2010. Diesel inline filter between tank and Airtex E2236 fuel pump (rated to 110 psi).Fuel pressure gauge. HOH for fuel line heat from tank to 12v lift pump. Two 12v 36" heaters, one before add on filter and one before OEM filter.

Cool weather mixes updated 2010. 100% vo to 70°. 66% to 35°. 50% to 10°.

Location: Upstate South Carolina , USA | Registered: December 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Update. We had the vehicle towed to the dealership. They removed and drained the tank, replaced fuel filter, changed oil and oil filter. Test drove it. Engine light came on. It was a "turbo sensor" $300 to replace. Station paid $700, but would not cover sensor. I requested the used part. This sensor has a small, about 1/2" diameter cone shaped screen that was completely covered with black oily soot. I am sure it is EGR related, exhaust recirculation problems...now I need to figure out how to bypass that system so the Liberty can breath!

Seems to be running fine now, but I am concerned about the lack of upper end lubrication for the 15-20 minutes it was operating on unleaded...

Incidentally, the dealer swears you cannot run this 2006 Liberty on bio...(been doing it for a year...my own special B100 homebrew...I just didn't have the heart to tell him!)

So, thanks for your responses...and yes, it is a $30,000 fine for the station if you are caught pumping your own fuel in Oregon. I pulled up to the diesel pump,(green handle) my cap is green, it has large letters saying "Diesel Only"...but...the only safe way is to make it at home and put it in your own self! Bio all the way!

Location: Oregon | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had a few check engine light issues with our 2006 CRD. Even with the latest update on the Modis I can't get much information. I can get into the codes with global side of the scanner and come up with boost sensor issues, lack of boost. it seems that if we accelerate to hard, the light coes on and the comp limits power to just enough to get off the road but not enough to keep up with traffic. We pull over and restart the jeep and away we go. Is this anything that you have experienced with your CRD?

Location: Vernonia Or | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timotheos:

So, thanks for your responses...and yes, it is a $30,000 fine for the station if you are caught pumping your own fuel in Oregon. I pulled up to the diesel pump,(green handle) my cap is green, it has large letters saying "Diesel Only"...but...the only safe way is to make it at home and put it in your own self! Bio all the way!

Actually you CAN pump your own diesel but not gasoline-- Problem is the station employees don't know the law--

ReM

B100--
2004 Motorhome CatC7
1987 Mercedes 190D 2.5 Turbo(possibly for sale)
1983 VW Pick-up (Caddy) 1.6 Turbo
Southern Oregon

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fire Lt:
I have had a few check engine light issues with our 2006 CRD. Even with the latest update on the Modis I can't get much information. I can get into the codes with global side of the scanner and come up with boost sensor issues, lack of boost. it seems that if we accelerate to hard, the light coes on and the comp limits power to just enough to get off the road but not enough to keep up with traffic. We pull over and restart the jeep and away we go. Is this anything that you have experienced with your CRD?
Most issues with the CRDs center around the sub-standard fuel filter and lack of lift pump. Low fuel pressure or air pockets are the result. Bleed your fuel head to see if that fixes anything. And please visit the LOSTKJs website, they have a good knowlege and lots of experience with CRDs.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum...B3/viewforum.php?f=5

'05 CRD B100
'01 TDi B100

Location: Colorado | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fire Lt, We have had the exact same problem with an Audi A4 2.00 TDI easily overcome, just switch off the ignition momentarily, do it on the run, back to normal. One good thing about this, the consumption is much better, as you have to use a light foot on the pedal, but how to fix it is at the moment unknown, so let me know if you come up with an easy fix. Jim.

Location: Cape Town | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fire Lt:

We have a 2005 Liberty CRD. We have had a similar issue in the past where our Jeep would just die, and when we would pull over and restart it would be fine for a period of time (days to weeks). The fix for us has been to change the fuel filter. We now change the fuel filter at least every 10k miles.

Shaun

16 B100 vehicles
13 Bio-Beetle Rentals
Bio-Beetle Eco Rental Cars
3 Recycling trucks
Maui Recycling Service

Now offering the Nissan Leaf all electric car and the Chevy Volt Plugin hybrid electric car.
EV Car Rentals
Forum members get a 10% discount

Location: Maui, Hawaii | Registered: June 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a different filter head and lift has been working wonders in my wife's Jeep.
it now has a Racor filter head and an electric lift pump with valve to bleed the system..NO MORE PUMPING.

the little cone shape thing that was mention. I think this might be the MAP sensor..if the EGR and CCV are in place and working it'll need cleaning.

you might want to look into Green Diesel Engineering..they have some cool ECM updates...that disables the EGR..

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The diesel BMW 335D has a special fill port that will not let a gasoline line fill the tank. Very cleaver of them.

Robert
In Fort Lauderdale running a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2 veg tanks HOH 2 upgraded greasecar vavles 3/8 fuel line 5/8 heater line HOH Hose wrapped filter. Injector Line heater on the Common Rail. 2nd car 2005 Mercedes CDI, Raw Power fuel pump, 36 gallon veg tank in trunk coolant heated HOH, rubber hose wrapped fuel filter, FPHE, 3 greasecar valves, Common rail line heater.

Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL | Registered: June 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maddasher:
The diesel BMW 335D has a special fill port that will not let a gasoline line fill the tank. Very cleaver of them.
Very interesting....

I found this description:
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18964

21mm Gasoline Nozzle fails to release trigger ---------------- 24mm Diesel Nozzle releases Trigger

So, the standard "gas" nozzles fail to open the fill port, but the standard diesel nozzles hit a trigger that opens the port.

But, as the article mentions, the sizes of fueling nozzles aren't 100% standardized in the USA with the possibility of getting either the smaller gasoline sized nozzles, or the larger truck sized nozzles which don't work well with the system.

My Jerry Can has a nice big nozzle too... but many gas cans don't. Unfortunately the VW Paint doesn't seem to like the Jerry Can Frown
I suppose the article says you can use the Jerry Can, but have to pour it in slowly (which they claim is a reminder to use the right fuel).

I still wonder about trying to get very low fuel flow out of a very big truck nozzle, and not spilling a drop on one's fancy new BMW.

So far I've been ok with Gas vs Diesel.

Usually the Diesel pumps are separate from the Gasoline pumps. So, when I pull up and park with the tank next to the Diesel pump, it is pretty obvious what I intend to go on the tank (even in Oregon where we have no self-service)... and the attendants at Sequential Fuels will frequently even wash my windshield!!!

posted Hide Post
if you put wrong fuel, it can damage your jeep. but, did you sent it to auto repair shops to check it? well i haven't been in this situation so if if that happened to me, i'll just sent it to the auto shops for checking. try to check this automd, that site may help you. maybe you can find the answer to your Jeep repair questions . just follow the link. XD