BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  Jeep CRD/common rail diesel    Jeep Liberty Conversion to WVO is complete

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jeep Liberty Conversion to WVO is complete
 Login/Join

posted
I used two tank for the Veg oil. One is behind the rear wheel and heated the other is a drip tank mounted where the spare tire was. I used a HOH system with a heater hose wrapped filter and a 26 plate FPHE. I also installed Injection Line Heaters but not on the IL instead I wrapped it around the Common Rail. Today my wife drove it to work for the first time and it was flawless so far. I have only burned one tank so far but it is working well.
It really is an impressive vehicle. It even accelorates hard if only for about two seconds. Easy to park good space nice on the highway. But I would say it does not like to sit in city traffic.SS tankThis is a link to pictures on the frybrid website there are 4 r five pictures of the two tanks and the engine bay and CR heater. You just have to wait for the link.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: maddasher,

Robert
In Fort Lauderdale running a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2 veg tanks HOH 2 upgraded greasecar vavles 3/8 fuel line 5/8 heater line HOH Hose wrapped filter. Injector Line heater on the Common Rail. 2nd car 2005 Mercedes CDI, Raw Power fuel pump, 36 gallon veg tank in trunk coolant heated HOH, rubber hose wrapped fuel filter, FPHE, 3 greasecar valves, Common rail line heater.

Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL | Registered: June 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck. Watch that engine oil. Monitor your VO and exhaust temperatures. I hope you've disabled the EGR.

Location: Colorado | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So far doing great after 3000 plus miles the motor oil looks good. Lots of highway driving. The CEL check engine light is not happy with the modification mentioned above and it sounds more like a diesel but is running great even with temps in the 30's.

Robert
In Fort Lauderdale running a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2 veg tanks HOH 2 upgraded greasecar vavles 3/8 fuel line 5/8 heater line HOH Hose wrapped filter. Injector Line heater on the Common Rail. 2nd car 2005 Mercedes CDI, Raw Power fuel pump, 36 gallon veg tank in trunk coolant heated HOH, rubber hose wrapped fuel filter, FPHE, 3 greasecar valves, Common rail line heater.

Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL | Registered: June 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Time for an update. So far about 9000 miles on grease I fill the spare tire tank with 20 gallons of grease every sunday. Everyone was afraid to do the svo convertion on the 05 and 06 CRD but really it was an easy convertion once you figure out where to put the grease tank(s) everything else went together as easy as a Mercedes conversion maybe easier! It does require an ORM and cleaning the intake sensor was actually easy. I have finished the EHM (elephant hose modification) and that was not hard either.
What a great grease vehicle this is I highly recommend if you have the means.This is a later picture of the engine from a different angle.

Robert

posted Hide Post
Thats great, glad its working out for you. I was going to buy a Liberty but got scared away by some WVO related horror stories. Please keep us posted.

MB300TD
92 w250 CTD
Samurai 1.6VWTD
Mitsu 4x4 17HP tractor
Veggen
WVO shop heat

Location: Randolph, VT | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have close to 10,000 miles it is by far the greatest grease vehicle I have ever seen. Or heard about. It drives great runs great, the power is actually really good. It is easy to park, it has good space and with the spare tire gone and the grease tank mounted there the grease system is non envasive. And it is four wheel drive.

The trick is that it needs modifications I have done the ORM,(egr mod) the EHM,(engine vent) cleaned all of the sensors.

The true trick to running on grease is the electric heater mounted on the Common Rail other than that it is a straight forward conversion. Just like any other diesel conversion if not done right it will not work right.

My next upgrade is a mod thermostat that is 192 degrees instead of 176. The bad part is it needs a timing belt every 90k miles. The parts alone were $800.

Robert

posted Hide Post
Did you happen to document the conversion or do a write up with pics?

posted Hide Post
I figured out how to get pictures up but I can not get them the right size.

Robert

posted Hide Post
I found the flaw in the Jeep Liberty CRD. It needs a new timing belt at 100k miles. I priced out the parts at close to $1000 and that is before being installed. Yikes! I am at 89k miles now I purchased the Jeep last summer with low 70k miles. Runs better now than when I got it. Wicked low end torque with the 4 wheel drive. But still a great grease powered vehicle.

Robert

posted Hide Post
Not sure why it's a "flaw". Nearly all newer engines have timing belts, so they all need servicing. 100k mile is a reasonable interval, VWs need changing more often. The problem is parts for the VM Motori are more expensive because there are less than 20,000 in operation here.

Timing belts are superior to chains for timing accuracy.

Location: Colorado | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually think it will probably be cheaper than a timing belt on a Passat TDI, a good local mechanic told me it would cost me close to $1500, I found the parts for less than then he was getting them for. He told me he had done a Passat TDI and it was $1500 because it took so long(book rate) and the parts were very expensive. But that was nothing next to a Toyota Sequioa SUV that needed $1500 just in parts and took 6 labour hours to complete.

The Jeep is still possibly one of the greatest grease vehicles ever. It is that good.

Robert

posted Hide Post
Pictures I am working on this should be the switch mounted on the bottom of the battery tray

Robert

posted Hide Post
Any updates on your Liberty? How many miles on grease now? Any problems?

Location: Ft Walton Beach, FL | Registered: September 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Liberty CRD now has about 29k miles on grease in about 1 years time so that is mostly highway mileage. It is 120 mile round trip to work. I had to change the fuel selector valve for the return, It got stuck for some reason but worked fine on the bench. I installed a new one thousands of miles ago and it has worked fine since. The only other area of concern is it always has to be flushed even if you turn it off for 2 minutes.

I think the tough part about a Jeep is every 100K miles it needs a new timing belt and waterpump. $600 in parts and $500 in labour. And it took a professional with lots of tools all day to do it. But a VW TDI is the same way and might even be more money for the belt change.

I believe this is one of the greatest grease vehicles I have ever seen or heard about. Good space,power,size,starting, stopping, turning. Since the new job we have been getting 150 miles for every gallon of diesel fuel purchased.

Robert

posted Hide Post
So far 40K miles on grease. I change the oil every other month about every 5k miles. I might be cheating by living in south florida. but still going strong on the grease. I change the veg filter every other months also and the diesel filter in NOV/DEC every year also. Timiing belt and water pump every 100k miles. We wil see if I make it to 200k for the next timing belt change.

Robert

posted Hide Post
40K not to bad, lots of $ saved on fuel. See ya in a few weeks, if I don't get a chicken bone stuck in the IP.

97 powerstroke wvo two tank hih heated filter mallory fi110 veg pump looped return on veg
02 vw jetta two tank hih davco filter greace car suply& retun valve webasto parking heater(block heater)
home heated with wvo clean burn drip heater as of 10/01/12 drip heater in storage. Low WVO supply, back to burning wood.

posted Hide Post
Wow! That's great news! I remember when you were just thinking about how to convert the diesel. 30k + miles on grease! Nice! I love the spare tire tank. With the cover on, no one would know the difference!! Is this the first jeep liberty conversion?

2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax 6.6L

Location: PSL, FL | Registered: April 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just wondering if the OP could update us on this one? thanks...

Edward Beggs
PlantDrive(tm) International
plantdrive.ca@gmail.com
http://www.PlantDrive.ca
SVO Consultations; Component/Kit Supplier; SVO Conversions; since 1999.

Location: Salmon Arm, BC, Canada | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post