BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  Jeep CRD/common rail diesel    Anyone driving the new 2007-2008 Jeep Cherokee diesel yet?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone driving the new 2007-2008 Jeep Cherokee diesel yet?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Everything with my 08 JEEP Grand Cherokee diesel is going great. I just filled the tank w/ B100 from my BioPro190 after running 4 tanks of B50 to B80 progressively. Now that the warm weather is here I'll run B100 for the summer, just in time for $4/gal petrodiesel.

Location: Hampton, Va | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B.K. Hosken:
just wondered if anyone had gotten the new diesel Cherokee, and have you tried BD in it?

I have had my Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel for almost 6 months now. so far 3 shell shocks. The unit is very loud on highway driving. I went to three lube shops and they all told me they could not even find the fuel filter in this vehicle. when I took it in to the dealership, oil change was $250 for this unit. Seeing as I am driving more highway, the higher price of diesel and the cost of maintenance, I have made a bad decision on buying this unit.

posted Hide Post
Any updates on the 3.0 CRD with running BIO or Veggy? Isnt this the same motor as in the 3.0 sprinters. I know there are a few of those doing well on veggy. Anyone?

Blending one tank 03 jetta and 06 CRD
liberty

posted Hide Post
Glad to have found this forum! The Jeep forums don't adequately have diesel/biodiesel discussions of any significance. I've been commercially produced burning B50 in my '08 diesel JGC and noticed no power loss, but a reduction of about 2 mpg (down to 20 mpg) in the city. I'm waiting on my BioPro 190 as I write this, and am really glad to see another biodieseler using the same processor in the same vehicle with no ill effects thus far. I hope to run homebrewed B100 all spring/summer/fall and B50 here in our 'brutal' Florida winters. Will keep you posted.

Location: Florida | Registered: July 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello All,

I'm brand new here Smile
I am also using the biodieselnow forum, but I think you guys have great threads going.
I am too in the process of getting a Grand Cherokee Overland 2007 CRD and want to run it on B100. I have heard though that the DPF (diesel particulate filter) does not bode well with bio. There is a thread going on about this on bdn, but since no one drives one of them, it's not excactly info first hand. Wink

So, do you guys have any concerns regarding the DPF and it's regen cycle?

Thomas

Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello also very happy to see a few bio pro 190 users here.I've been using my bio pro 190 for about 2 months and running b100 in my jeep liberty crd and my GMC sierra duramax. With absolutly no issues.I'm kinda wondering what the colder weather is going to bring here in Idaho.I really like not having to go to the local filling station.

posted Hide Post
Hello WilliamBrown,

Any new comments after running your CRD for over 4 months now?? I'm still kinda worried about the DPF issue.

Thomas

Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AustroTom:
Hello All,

I'm brand new here Smile
I am also using the biodieselnow forum, but I think you guys have great threads going.
I am too in the process of getting a Grand Cherokee Overland 2007 CRD and want to run it on B100. I have heard though that the DPF (diesel particulate filter) does not bode well with bio. There is a thread going on about this on bdn, but since no one drives one of them, it's not excactly info first hand. Wink

So, do you guys have any concerns regarding the DPF and it's regen cycle?

Thomas
I can't say I have many concerns about DPFs and regen. The BLUETEC DPF system injects extra fuel to periodically burn out the DPF, when it gets plugged. The concern is this extra fuel gets into the engine oil, however I've not seen any evidence (via oil analysis) that good biodiesel will cause harm to engine oil. The NBB has raised the issue, but all I've seen is hand-waving arguments.

I just got a link to this:
quote:
Lube oil samples that were collected throughout the year showed that B20 caused no harm and, in some cases, actually resulted in less soot and wear on metals than the ULSD samples.

http://www.biodieselmagazine.com/article.jsp?article_id=2677

Myself, I'd core out that DPF and see that fuel never got wasted in a useless regeneration cycle.

'05 CRD B100
'01 TDi B100

Location: Colorado | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yayyyyyhhhhhh! Cool

Thomas

posted Hide Post
The Jeep CRD 3.0L used in the Grand Cherokee is approved for B5 fuel only as per Mercedes who manufactures the engine. You will void factory warranty with anything over B5. This reply is from Jeep Engineering:
We understand the desire to run bio-fuels, and we would like to do so in the future. There are 2 main issues with using bio-diesels more than B5-B20.
1. Cold start - biodiesel fuel have significant issues with gelling
2. High pressure fuel system durability - biodiesel lubricity is not well controlled

When the fuel industry have a standard for the fuel so the lubricity and chemistry of the fuel are standardized, then we can really work on solving the remaining issues using bio-diesel fuel.

posted Hide Post
You will not be able to core out the DPF as the filter itself has a sensor to monitor pressure to trigger a regeneration cycle. If it is removed the vehicle will only run in a "limp home mode". Many users have reported that DPF regeneration occurs more frequently using bio-diesel. It may be due to the quality itself of the fuel. More regeneration cycles will lower the longevity of the DPF filter itself. I would love to run bio but don't want to add to the expense of a replacement DPF down the road sooner than necessary as I imagine it will not be a cheap replacement.

posted Hide Post
Response to tombrown post above:

The fuel filter is located on top of the engine just in front of the air intake to the turbo/swirl motor. It is positioned there to heat the fuel. The water separator sensor is located inside the fuel filter. This filter swirls the fuel to separate the water. Oil changes are expensive because this engine requires an oil spec of MB290.51 low ash oil. This oil is used to prolong the DPF filter and to meet emission standards that were increased because of this engine. I buy the oil necessary at www.avlubricants.com and oil filter for a total of $110.00 and do it myself. The oil is a high quality Mobile 1 synthetic meeting the MB290.51 low ash specifications and does last longer. Jeep says to change the oil at 12,500, 6,250 severe usage miles with Mercedes recommended interval at 10,000 miles. I also have installed a ProVent CCV intake by-pass to collect any oil before entering the intake.

posted Hide Post
I should also mention that another reason for a higher price oil change is that this engine also takes 10 quarts or 9.5 liters.

posted Hide Post
quote:
BioPro190

I am interested in running Bio-diesel myself but have any of you with 07's have any issues so far. I would like to run maybe B20 at first. Is there a specification for a good bio-fuel at any pumps to make sure I get a good grade of fuel?

posted Hide Post
This is the same engine as used in the Sprinter van. Finding a Sprinter dealer would be recommended for engine maintenance as it has been my experience that non-Sprinter dealers know very little about this engine.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TonyVideo:
You will not be able to core out the DPF as the filter itself has a sensor to monitor pressure to trigger a regeneration cycle. If it is removed the vehicle will only run in a "limp home mode". Many users have reported that DPF regeneration occurs more frequently using bio-diesel. It may be due to the quality itself of the fuel. More regeneration cycles will lower the longevity of the DPF filter itself. I would love to run bio but don't want to add to the expense of a replacement DPF down the road sooner than necessary as I imagine it will not be a cheap replacement.
Any sensor can be replaced with a dummy to mimic a valid input to the ECM.

'05 CRD B100
'01 TDi B100

posted Hide Post
quote:
This reply is from Jeep Engineering:
We understand the desire to run bio-fuels, and we would like to do so in the future. There are 2 main issues with using bio-diesels more than B5-B20.
1. Cold start - biodiesel fuel have significant issues with gelling
2. High pressure fuel system durability - biodiesel lubricity is not well controlled
Interesting that Jeep should have an issue with the increased lubricity of biodiesel....

'05 CRD B100
'01 TDi B100

posted Hide Post
Isn't replacing a sensor on the DPF illegal with a dummy sensor? I know this sensor works in tandem with the other sensors as well on the exhaust. If this is not illegal then I might investigate the possibility when I pass the 36,000 mile warranty. Just a thought.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Isn't replacing a sensor on the DPF illegal with a dummy sensor? I know this sensor works in tandem with the other sensors as well on the exhaust. If this is not illegal then I might investigate the possibility when I pass the 36,000 mile warranty. Just a thought.
I'm sure coring the DPF is illegal too. No point in disabling the sensor if you aren't going to get rid of the filter.

Any modification of the emissions system IS ILLEGAL. I'm just saying that these new emissions systems on diesels are excessive -- they hurt the performance and do very little to improve the emissions. Best example EGR. EGR has no place on a diesel.

This DPF is another example -- someone here recently posted they got 0% opacity on an older diesel using vegetable oil fuel. That vehicle has no use for a DPF, and a newer one would burn just as clean using biodiesel or vegetable oil. Stop burning these disgusting petroleum fuels and the excessive emissions equipment requirements go away as well.

'05 CRD B100
'01 TDi B100

posted Hide Post
I have an 08 and just started running B20 at about 4,000 miles. I only run 2 tanks so far, so not enough to know much, but no problems so far.

BTW, here's an interesting thread on what turned out to be a fuel injector problem on an 07. Not conclusive it was due to BD use, but the owner ran B99 in it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=588449&page=8

Location: Portland, OR | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post