BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  Jeep CRD/common rail diesel    Anyone driving the new 2007-2008 Jeep Cherokee diesel yet?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone driving the new 2007-2008 Jeep Cherokee diesel yet?
 Login/Join

posted
just wondered if anyone had gotten the new diesel Cherokee, and have you tried BD in it?

1985 Mercedes 300D, sold, Heat exchanger and injector line heaters, all single tank. 1997 E300D Benz ... biodiesel.

Location: Cocoa Beach FL | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OH.....I didn't know they were making a diesel version. I thought we would have to wait until 2009 or 2010 models.

daw (also known as daw_two on some forums)

1987 Mercedes 300SDL
2000 diesel Dodge Dakota Cummins Big Grin
1984 Mercedes 300D
1981 Mercedes 300D

Location: Memphis, TN (kind of) | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have test driven 4 CRD Grand's. Nothing like the liberty at all. Quiet, more power, 395 foot pounds VS. 295. Just a much nicer vehicle all in all, for many more $$$$$.
I have a 2005 CRD. Love this car. Disgusted with the problems!! I hate to call it a lemon but this is getting old. I will try to get to the point. 1st month of owning it the turbo was replaced. Month 7 engine began fouling during operation creating hazardous operation, (no Power & ready to stall) pulling over and shutting of and restarting seemed to correct this. Then the check engine light started throwing codes....temp sensor defective, crank sensor, underboost sensor, all ocurring at seperate intervals and replacements between 7 and 15 months of ownership. Then the EGR valve failed....talk about black smoke, whew. This was replaced, and the vehicle was never better. 23 mpg city, 32 highway, fast, dependable...wow we finally got it...18k miles an 22 months old. Things were good for 6 months then it all started again. Engine light..sensor faults. And the dreaded "not starting". They needed an ECM...6 week wait!!!! Threatened lemon law they had it in 3 weeks. 1 week later no start. But it started in the afternoons....This is this past summer in NH 55 at night or warmer..Glow plugs are working, shouldn't need them anyway. Sent it off on "the Hook" 9/04/07. Just got it back today the 17th and they put a new fuel pump and controller in it. This is why I have tested the new Grand..just afraid it will turn out like my libby.

posted Hide Post
I would plan to buy one, but THAT is what I am afraid of. I would not be able to take that level of "lemon-ness" That's worse reliability than my 22 year old Benz, running on straight veggie oil. I guess by the time I can afford one, they will be 5-10 years old and the troubles should be worked out by then.

1985 Mercedes 300D, sold, Heat exchanger and injector line heaters, all single tank. 1997 E300D Benz ... biodiesel.

Location: Cocoa Beach FL | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The stories of Chrysler's lack of support for diesels is very dis-heartening. I intend to do everything I can to head off the main issues if I can, like add a lift pump and air bleed to the fuel system, disable the EGR and add an oil separator to the crankcase vent. I hope the new Grand Cherokee is not subject to the same pathetic and incompetant customer support.

Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: June 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I test drove one a while back in June. Nice vehicles. But, the dealer played a game of this number that number, from day to day. So I told them they could keep it.

Aside from that, nice vehicle. The Chereokee Diesel has been available in Europe for several years so it is not new; Just new to the US.

Considering that Chrysler is now being run by the former Home Depot CEO I would stay away. He is bad news.

Location: Hagerstown, MD | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The JEEP dealer keeps calling...." I can sell your liberty in 6 hours....(for what I owe..15,800) but will sell me a 47k Grand Cherk diesel for 41.....and 0% interest.....or how 'bout a 44k Hemi for 34k and 0%...somebody is making some serious money...and it's not me.

posted Hide Post
I just ordered a 2008 Grand Cherokee. It's being built as we speak and is promised by the end of the month. When I get it I'll pass along my opinions. I'll probably need reminding though.

Location: Hampton, Va | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BioJettaJoe:
I test drove one a while back in June. Nice vehicles. But, the dealer played a game of this number that number, from day to day. So I told them they could keep it.

Aside from that, nice vehicle. The Chereokee Diesel has been available in Europe for several years so it is not new; Just new to the US.

Considering that Chrysler is now being run by the former Home Depot CEO I would stay away. He is bad news.
The Cherokee diesel sold in Europe is the same as the Liberty diesel here in the US. It's not called Liberty over there because Subaru already uses that name, and it's a completely different vehicle than the new "Grand Cherokee" sold in the US with a Mercedes CRD engine. It's much bigger and much much more money ($60k vs $25k).

Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: June 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have recieved my new 08 JEEP Grand Cherokee 3.0L CRD. It is a Limited with the navagation, DVD entertainment system, heated seats, Sirius radio, bluetooth conectivity, etc... My first impressions are that this is one sweet machine. I haven't run any bio in it yet as I've just made my first batch and want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I put any in the new JEEP. I'm running my bio in an 82 300 CD.

The JEEP has plenty of power, has great pick-up and passing ability. Is very comfortable and is well built. I'd recommend one to anyone!

Location: Hampton, Va | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm now running B50 in my 08 Grand Cherokee. I'm very happy! I make the bio in a BioPro190 and just splash mix by filling the tank half way at the diesel pump and filling the rest with bio. No loss in power. I actually think it has a little more power, but that could just be wishful thinking.

posted Hide Post
William how is it going so far with this truck, how is your mileage, did you get the 4x4?

Blending one tank 03 jetta and 06 CRD
liberty

posted Hide Post
any one else driving one of these, im looking to run straight WVO in one any thoughts?

liberty

posted Hide Post
I, too, am looking at the diesel Grand Cherokee. The Seattle area dealers still have new 2007s and are (obviously) discounting them aggressively. Anybody out there got any advice?

Location: Seattle | Registered: February 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too am about to buy a new '07 Grand Cherokee CRD. It seems like a sweet vehicle. I'd love more feedback on using biodiesel in them.

posted Hide Post
I purchased a Grand Cherokee CRD last month (Jan `08). It's an `07 model that is very well equipped. I was able to purchase it for nearly $10k below sticker. I don't think I left any money on the table but dealers are certainly willing to blow them out.

So far I'm happy with the vehicle. If I take it easy I can easily get 20 mpg or better around town. I've gotten as high as 26.4 on the highway. However, those were situations were I was really taking it easy and driving to optimize economy. On a typical tank of fuel I am averaging about 22.5 mpg.

The truck also tows well. I've towed a boat and will soon be trying it with a two horse trailer. With the boat I was able to get 12.5 mpg, but that was on a very short trip (less than 15 miles) so it may or may not be a reliable number. The fact that it has the same torque and tow capacity as the hemi and gets a lot better fuel economy makes me wonder why they aren't selling well.

Location: Central Florida | Registered: February 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Iroll any plans to run bio in it or veggy? did you get the 4x4 or 2x4 version?

liberty

posted Hide Post
I purchased a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee laredo with quadra drive 2, class 4 hitch, sunroof and leather, and the north package, i have to say that i am extremely happy with the vehicle. It drives well around town and its very decent on diesel for a heavy truck. The cabin is very quiet and is almost free from the diesel rattle. There is pretty much no vibration in the vehicle, so forget about your little baby falling asleep in this sucker. i only got about 100 miles on the car so far, but the fuel gauge has not even moved....gotta love the 12,500 mile / 12 month oil change schedule, god i love the new german diesel, finally chrysler puts in a modern engine, not some crap they stuck in the liberty

posted Hide Post
Please keep us updated on the truck. I bid on one on ebay and didnt win it, but it was only 2-wheel drive so Im not sad about it. The thing I dont like about the quadr-drive is there is always power going to the front, which seems silly to me. I still want one, let us know how its going with this truck.

liberty

posted Hide Post
The only thing they had on the lot (after checking 3 dealers) were the two wheel drive. I would have gone for the 4X4 too but have a Suburban 6.5 turbo diesel that's a four wheeler so it wasn't a must have.

I've had the truck almost 2 months and have put over 4,700 miles on it. The fuel economy is very good. I can get well over 26 mpg highway (closer to 27) if I am really, really careful and don't use the A/C. It also seems to do better in cool weather (I'm in Florida). A more typical scenario for highway economy is 23 or 24 mpg. Same deal for city economy - keep your foot out it and the fuel economy is terrific. I can get easily get over 20 around town by practicing slower acceleration and longer coasting to stops.

I'm not running bio but would like to. I thought about building a small reactor but just haven't had (made) the time. I suppose at $4/gal it about time to do something. I'd really like to do a little co-op type operation and share the burden of having to constantly make fuel. Anyone in the Orlando area interested?

Location: Central Florida | Registered: February 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post