BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Other uses for Glycerine by-product    Flash burning of methanol

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flash burning of methanol
 Login/Join

posted
I put about 1 gallon of glycerine in a 3 gallon pot and placed on a hot plate outside. After being at a rolling boil for about 30 minutes, I held a burning paper towel(on a stick) above the layer of glyerine in the pot and it flamed. This continued to burn for 30 minutes or so until I covered the pot to extinguish the flame. What was burning? Methanol or methanol then glycerine?

I am not set up yet to recover the methanol (NOT mechanically inclined so looking for plans to have a still built for me) but am anxious to make so soap. Thus, was trying to remove methanol from small amount.

Also, what is the curing time for KOH liquid soap?

posted Hide Post
The first initial burn is the methanol and then that becomes a glycerine burn as well. I've burned loads of it this way in a wood stove with a pot burner in it. It leaves a dark tar-like residue and will harden and need to be chipped out if left to fully burn and cool.

Building a simple still isn't very difficult. http://www.b100wh.com/recovery1.html#condenser is the first one I built. I have since swapped out the pail for a 48Lt water heater, which if you have a copy of The Guide3 it is pictured there, I just haven't updated my recovery page yet. The condenser is the same as is also simple to make.

I recommend a minimum of 10 days for curing time, after which the "battery test" should be done to be certain that all the caustic has neutralised.

HTH

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Legal
Is the remaining glycerine suitable to use for soap? How long does the initial burn need to be so that I have eliminated the methanol?

I do not have the updated soap making guide. I have the 2nd edition. Could I purchase the updated edition from you?

Do you have to worry about a build up of glycerine in the bottom of the water heater?

Thanks again! I am excited to try my hand at soap making.

posted Hide Post
??? 2nd edition ? You should have received a notice for the 3rd edition upgrade. Check your posted email addy.

quote:

Is the remaining glycerine suitable to use for soap? How long does the initial burn need to be so that I have eliminated the methanol?

If it has started to ignite I would say adios to it as it will most likely have quite a burned tint to it, along with an unpleasant smell for soap. I recommend 45 minutes per litre at 250F to get all the methanol out as well as give you a sterilised end use product. More details in The Guide3.

quote:
I do not have the updated soap making guide. I have the 2nd edition. Could I purchase the updated edition from you?

The email covers it.

quote:
Do you have to worry about a build up of glycerine in the bottom of the water heater?

After reaction I immediately send everything over to a settling tank and then open a valve to drain out the lines and pump of residual glycerine. There is always some in the bottom of teh reactor when I set up the next batch, but it is of no concern for me. I've always done it that way and it has never caused any problems. I DO NOT use the 5% prewash. That would change things, unless you use a turnover type water heater which you could then get pretty well drained and the prewash wouldn't mess up the follow up batch IMO.

quote:
Thanks again! I am excited to try my hand at soap making.

It's a rewarding experience, with all kinds of practical applications too (not to mention saving your family a pile of cash every year)

HTH

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post