BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Other uses for Glycerine by-product    Glycerine antirust treatment

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glycerine antirust treatment
 Login/Join

posted
This is the time of year I do my antirust treatment on my vehicles. I usually use a scented antirust gel-type product which runs about $20- $25 for 4L. Then I had an idea. Why not try spraying with hot glycerine? So I did. As long as the glcerine was hot, my spray gun didn't mind. Adhesion was instantaneous, hardly any dripping.

1991 GMC 6.2L Rally STX and 1997 Jetta

posted Hide Post
Any longterm comments?

Glycerin is very hygroscopic... I.E. it likes to trap water. Plus, typically raw glycerin contains salts and has a relatively high pH.

So personally I'd think that it would be a poor choice as a rust inhibitor.

Some of my worst places of rust & paint deterioration have been around brake fluid leaks... also a hygroscopic fluid.

But, there is no substitute for empirical studies, especially on someone else's vehicle.

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keelec's right. Glycerol attracts dampness, even moreso with its salt content. You can find out easily enough by coating a strip of mild steel in glycerol and leaving it in your shed. You can try used engine oil - that's been used with success.

Location: Scotland | Registered: March 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post