Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home
Electric Fence

This topic can be found at:
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/739605551/m/9817037933

July 27, 2011, 11:32 PM
Murphy
Electric Fence
Here's another use for the glycerin..

Using a flower watering pot, I pour the undiluted glycerin byproduct down under the wires of my electric fence. It kills the weeds all summer long and saves me a bunch of time having to use the weed whip.

It might be worth noting that I only use KOH glycerine.

www.MurphysMachines.Com
The best Do-it-Yourself Construction Plans on the Internet!
Waste Oil Heating - Biodiesel Systems
Biodiesel Pumps Made In The USA
July 28, 2011, 04:21 PM
Jon Heron
Works well with NaOH glycerin too. I mix the hot, demethed NaOH glycerin right out of my reactor into about 50~60% water to keep it liquid and then use a pressurized hand sprayer to spray weeds in the kids playground gravel and around our buildings. If you do it on a hot sunny day the plants turn black and wither to nothing in a couple of hours. I think it works by coating the leaves and starving them of C02 so if it rains shortly after spraying I find it needs to be sprayed again. Works like a charm!
Cheers,
Jon

Simple schematic for a pump and heater control with a high limit
Sensor for the biodiesel/glycerin layer
July 28, 2011, 08:58 PM
Murphy
I'm not to sure my tomatoes and peppers will be all that happy with me adding massive amounts of sodium to their soil.

I'm sure it works both ways (NaOH or KOH) but I have to wonder if the hydroxide is doing it or, as you say, the plant is being choked.

www.MurphysMachines.Com
July 28, 2011, 10:15 PM
Jon Heron
I haven't used it around the garden yet. I take it your electric fence is around your garden?
I notice that it will only kill the leaves that it is sprayed on, if you miss a couple leaves on a dandelion they will live. They only turn black and wither in the direct sun for some reason, I wonder if the black glycerin just attracts and concentrates the sun?
Try spraying some dandelion leaves with your KOH glycerin in the direct sun and see if it does the same thing... Its amazing! Cool
I always neutralize the caustic in my batch with acid after processing too.
When you say "massive amounts of sodium" I assume you mean salt? How much sodium is there in the glycerin? Is it measurable without a GC or other complicated setup?
Cheers,
Jon

Simple schematic for a pump and heater control with a high limit
Sensor for the biodiesel/glycerin layer
July 29, 2011, 12:07 AM
Murphy
Yes, fence is around my garden to keep the deer from destroying all my hard work.

I've used the glycerin in two ways... 1. on small weeds.. kills them fast and efficiently. and 2. When circumstances require it, I use the weed whip to cut the big weeds all down and then put the glycerin on what's left to make sure they stay cut down.

Either method usually results in killing the weeds down to the dirt level.

Never tried a "partial kill" by half-coating a large growth...

As for how much salt is in the glycerin, I'm not sure but I know that sodium is very bad for garden vegetables and sodium can build up in the soil and stunt plant growth. Since sodium is a catalyst in the biodiesel reaction, and as I understand chemistry, catalysts are not normally considered consumables, then all that sodium you add for the reaction must end up in the glycerin. (Someone correct me here if I'm mistaken.)

Consider this, if I pull the weeds (roots and all), new weeds will grow back within a couple weeks. But, if I put down glycerin, the glycerin seems to disappear within hours (soaks into ground and dries out maybe?) and no weeds will grow back for the rest of the summer.

I think there has to be more going on than just coating the leaves... but again I'm no expert so I'm not sure.

www.MurphysMachines.Com
February 13, 2014, 05:48 PM
MC-Professor
Has anybody tried this with bushes or trees?

I have Gozberry trees all over my property. If you cut off one truck two or more com back. The only way I have found to get rid of them is to dig them up, anything left behind will grow back.

Shannon
81'Merc 300D (B100)
99 Dodge Ram 2500 (Cummins) (WMO/Bio)
February 13, 2014, 05:57 PM
john galt
Yes, one can string electric fence on trees if insulators are used, but bushes are usually too light.
It likely won't kill them.

February 14, 2014, 08:05 AM
MC-Professor
I was actually referring to spraying bushes with Glycerin as a herbiside.

Shannon
81'Merc 300D (B100)
99 Dodge Ram 2500 (Cummins) (WMO/Bio)
February 17, 2014, 10:12 AM
Hamlin205
Sorry to change the subject but Murphy mentioned something that caught my attention.
Quote:
As for how much salt is in the glycerin, I'm not sure but I know that sodium is very bad for garden vegetables and sodium can build up in the soil and stunt plant growth.
Quote:
My garden savvy neighbor convinced me to start using Epsom salts in the hole before planting
a tomato plant to prevent blossom end rot. Seems to be a standard practice here.
Epsom salt has other minerals in it that I know are good for plants but is the salt content now high in the garden for those that continue the practice ?
Maybe that explains low yields and a garden that seemed to do worse next year.
Doesn't really matter to me anymore as I went soil less last year with an indoor aquaponic
system. Easier than fences, much less work, no weeding and produces all year.

regards
Tom

1999 K3500 Dually with a new AMG 6.5TD turned up a bit by John Kennedy
Chevy DMax Totaled thanks to a 20 year old in a Mustang
Mercedes 300CDT
John Deere
On B99.?
February 18, 2014, 04:51 AM
Joe_M
There is no sodium in Epsom salt. It is Magnesium sulphate. HTH

Blessings. Joe 1999 Chevy Suburban w/new optimizer 6500 TD and 1995 Chevy Cube van 6.5L. WWW.RillaBioFuels.com
WWW.RillaBioFuels.com
February 18, 2014, 08:16 AM
Hamlin205
quote:
Originally posted by Joe_M:
There is no sodium in Epsom salt. It is Magnesium sulphate. HTH

Thanks Joe
guess I forgot and should have looked it up.

Magnesium sulfate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium_sulfate

Magnesium sulfate (or magnesium sulphate) is an inorganic salt (chemical compound) containing magnesium, sulfur and oxygen, with the formula MgSO 4
regards
Tom

Mercedes 300CDT
John Deere
On B99.?
February 25, 2014, 07:12 PM
Hamlin205
Due to the Ice and Snow here last week the county left wood stacked
down along the road in the wildlife refuge.
Yesterday we loaded the truck twice in about an hour still using our bar oil 1/2 and half
Demethed BDG and True soap. It looks and pours like pancake syrup.
This Bar and chain had over a hundred cuts on it before yesterday and still throwing chunks like it did when new. IMO this stuff works way better than anything at the store. Smells great when hot .

[URL= ] [/URL]

Mercedes 300CDT
John Deere
On B99.?
February 25, 2014, 07:18 PM
Hamlin205
Today we delivered 275 Gallons of Soap to our favorite customer. They love this stuff.
It's because of this website and the folks in it that we are able to enjoy much benefit from
this valuable resource.
regards
Tom

[URL= ] [/URL]

Mercedes 300CDT
John Deere
On B99.?
February 25, 2014, 08:57 PM
Legal Eagle
A high sodium content (like in NaOH glycerine) will kill green plants; of all sorts. It will also kill off trees in sufficient volume (been there done it).

Potassium, on the other hand, will not do this in moderation as potassium is necessary in the soil for healthy plant life. This is why composting the KOH glycerine for use on AG land is acceptable. Of course if you mulch from mustard seed oil you can mix that in it as well and that acts as a suitab;e insecticide for organic farming.

HTH

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.