BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Other uses for Glycerine by-product    When draining my glycern I got some Biodiesel in it... What to do?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When draining my glycern I got some Biodiesel in it... What to do?
 Login/Join

posted
So I decided I want to try to make a batch of bar soap with some of my glycern. While draining off the glycern tonight I got some biodiesel in it at the end. I have about 1/2 a cubie of glycern and I can see there is about 1/4 inch of bio on top.

What do I have to do to the glycern now that I want to use it for soap? Is that Bio ok in there?

Thanks,

Clint

My 4x4 Website: http://www.4wheeling.ca

Location: Vancouver Cananandanada | Registered: June 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clint, you do need to separate the bio and glycerine. One way is to pour it into something that has a drain in the bottom, let it settle and drain the glycerine, stop before you get to the bio. YOu could use a 2 liter coke bottle, cut the bottom off, screw a cap on (or put one of those tops off of a sports drink that pulls open), turn it upside down and fill. Let it settle and loosen the cap and drain.

2001 & 2002 F-250 PSD CC Superduty Running On Homebrew!

Location: Mississippi | Registered: April 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You need to drain the glycerol more slowly, and when you think you're near the end of the glycerol drain it into something else. Its very easy to get some biodiesel coming out with the glycerol.

Location: Scotland | Registered: March 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have noticed even after overnight settling, the first 5 gallons(set aside in it's own jug) of 13 gallons drained off will have about 1 inch of BD float to the surface. So, that re-settling would be a good idea.
Bob

Location: Western NY | Registered: September 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post