BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Other uses for Glycerine by-product    Will de-methed glycerin work as a machine tool lubricant?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will de-methed glycerin work as a machine tool lubricant?
 Login/Join

posted
I thought I read a while back that you can use glycerin for a light cutting/milling fluid.

Is this true? I'd also like to know if I can use this stuff for cutting threads in say a pipe threading machine.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Location: Utopia Planitia | Registered: February 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, that's an interesting question...
Glycerin has a characteristic (its solubility in water) that'd make it suitable as a machining lube.
Also, we all know it's slippery (or at least, those of us who ever stepped on some glycerin on the floor... Big Grin), so...
It should be interesting to try.

"When you don't think what you say, you say what you think" Jacinto Benavente.

"Wars not make one great" Yoda.

"A pessimist is a well informed optimist"

WWVhaCwgSSdtIGEgZ2Vlay4gU08gV0hBVD8=

Location: Miami, Florida. | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm really concerned about flammability under heavy machine tool operation. I know that machine tool oil can get quite hot especially with certain gear cutting operations.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Location: Utopia Planitia | Registered: February 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that would ruin your day kinda quick...
However, if I understand this correctly (and there's no warranty I actually do), the byproduct is more like an unfinished soap than pure glycerin, and soap is not flammable (I hope Eek)
Anyways, the best way to find out is trying it...

Location: Miami, Florida. | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would try it... And berny is correct. The glycerin byproduct is really a "bad" batch of soap. It would be just as accurate to call it soap. It can be 50% or more soap depending on the oil and water you are starting with.

The guys from Arbor Biofuels use BD as a cutting lube for some of their fabrication. Might ask them for some details on that.

-Rick

http://www.knicenclean.com your single-most largest free BDG soaping content on the internet.
SAP Testing, Ingredient Properties, Soap Glossary and Recipes just to name a few.

Making Biodiesel Byproduct Soap Learn how to use your biodiesel byproducts to make great bar and liquid soap!!!

"Closing the loop on biodiesel production one bar at a time!"

Beware of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Am I? Hmmm, I guess I'm better at guessing than I thought... That's nice to know.

BD as cutting lube? Eek
No, I'm not that brave...

posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought I read a while back that you can use glycerin for a light cutting/milling fluid.

I have seen glycerine/water used as a hydraulic fluid with good results. The system was 30 years old and the pump was fine. Something must have been acting as a lubricant.
That was however pure glycerine not the gunk we get.

Axle grease is soap made with calcium or lithium lye, so soap should have similar properties.

Location: Nimbin Australia | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a company in Natal (South Africa) which sells cutting fluid made from crude glyc. Not sure about the process though. A friend tried some diluted with water for thread cutting on a lathe and it seemed OK.
p.s. For pipe threading machines, the best lube is lard. I keep a bucket of used stuff beside my machine.

Location: Ashford | Registered: March 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post