Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Define ignorance
 Login/Join

posted
I ran into a lady today who makes homemade soap. So I asked her if she has ever tried making it out of the glycerine by product. Her exact words were"no, thats not making soap. I make mine out of coconut and other natural oils. It makes its own glycerine."
She said this with quite the attitude, until I told her the glycerine was the byproduct of using soy, canola and peanut oil to make bio.
I was just trying to give the stuff away, and dont have time to make soap myself. I keep enough of the demethed gly for myself to use as a degreaser and hand cleaner out in the barn, rather than buying a full blown soap.
Anyone want a bunch of glycerine in Orlando area.Free Big Grin

posted Hide Post
The two most common elements in the Universe are hydrogen and stupidity.
-- Harlan Ellison

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
--- Albert Einstein.

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity is to contemplate the extent of human stupidity.
-- Voltaire

it's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.
-- Anton LaVey

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
-- Albert Einstein

Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider.
--George Carlin

in view of the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that He did not also limit his stupidity.
-- Konrad Adenauer

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are, unfortunately, people spreading that kind of nonsense in both sides of the argument.
Some "traditional" soapmakers seem invested on making everybody believe that BD glycerin is something that shouldn't be used to make "real" soap, and here, you find people advising others not to use "traditional" methods to make BD soap.
They call themselves "purists". I use a different name.
So far, I have made 2 batches of soap, one of which ended up in the garbage. The other one was made with 25% each of: glycerine, coconut oil, lard, and olive oil. As of today, the people I gave it to test it still ask me when am I gonna make more.
There's a lot to be learned from both sides.

"When you don't think what you say, you say what you think" Jacinto Benavente.

"Wars not make one great" Yoda.

"A pessimist is a well informed optimist"

WWVhaCwgSSdtIGEgZ2Vlay4gU08gV0hBVD8=

Location: Miami, Florida. | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Her exact words were"no, thats not making soap.

Er well actually she's right.
Technically soap is an oleate or salt.

The fatty acid reacts with the lye to produce soap, the glycerine is a by product of soap making just like in bio. Can you make bio from Glycerine, I wish you could.

Glycerine does have cleaning power though because it is an alcohol and great solvent.

Some soapmakers add glycerine to their soap as a moisturizer.

So I guess we should say do you make glycerine cleaner.

Location: Nimbin Australia | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a misconception that the glycerin byproduct is just glycerin. If it were that would be the case

It is not.

The glycerin byproduct consists of glycerin, soaps, di-glycerides, mono-glycerides, maybe some un-reacted oil and biodiesel. I call these (other than the soap and glycerin) "saponifiable elements".

The glycerin byproduct is really a "bad" batch of soap already. It needs some help. Minimally more lye to complete saponification. At times some property help with hardness and latherability.

I'm having some conversations with some soapers on a soap forum about just this. Some are still turning their noses up. Many are "getting" it. A local group of soap ladies actually are embracing the idea of using our glycerin byproduct.

Once property informed of what the biodiesel glycerin is many of the traditional soaper see the light in the dark.

-Rick

http://www.knicenclean.com your single-most largest free BDG soaping content on the internet.
SAP Testing, Ingredient Properties, Soap Glossary and Recipes just to name a few.

Making Biodiesel Byproduct Soap Learn how to use your biodiesel byproducts to make great bar and liquid soap!!!

"Closing the loop on biodiesel production one bar at a time!"

Beware of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I look at it this way, half the work is done, and half the chemicals needed are already there. To me that minimizes their cost. But I still cant get rid of the stuff.

posted Hide Post
All that is done in creating the glycerine layer is to remove the esters part of the whole oil via transesterification.

It is in every sense what is deemed a "true soap" by the definition put out by the US FDA. A "true soap" is defined as an acid, an alkali and water and that the saponification is the result of that mix.

The more traditionalist soaper can't (and won't)get his/her head around BD glyc soap, it just doesn't compute. even when the process is explained they still don't get it; I've tried and all it did was cause grief.

What they don't get is that most of the saponification process completes in the transesterification process thereby making the use of a much lower SAP value possible in order to finish the job by pushing it a bit further.

Soaping using BD glyc is the world of simplicity when all the parameters are straight forward, so perhaps this is what has them in a quandry, the simplicity of it.

There are a few tweaks and adjustments that have to be made along the way for various types of oil feedstock,or blends but the general rule is pretty straight forward.

When you get into how traditionalists make soap you get an idea why they just can't or won't allow themselves to understand our methodology, it just isn't elaborate enough to satisfy their criteria of what they consider soap is. "If it ain't got 15 ingredients it ain't soap" seems to be the general mindset, even though this is completely paradoxical as they DO understand how to make soap from a whole oil, and you can find oodles of information on that on any number of traditionalist soap making sites. It's the concentration of the elements in the glycerine layer angle that blows the fuse.

On the flip side of that same coin there are a bunch of them that are scared half to death by what we do. The simple reason is that we are a competition that they can't no matter how hard they try, undercut. We will ALWAYS be able to sell cheaper than they do, and we will ALWAYS have a better performing product than they do as well, that is many more times more versatile and pliable coming from one base than they will ever be able to achieve.
The closest thing I've found and is a true cousin to what we do, or we are cousin to it as it was there first, is Aleppo soap. A time honoured method of using vegetable oils in soap making.(you will notice that it is BROWN !)
This is most likely the intense look or recognition so many of us have experienced with our soap when in the presence of old world Europeans.They are very familiar with Aleppo soap, and ours for all intents and purposes mimics it's performance almost to a T, but without having to go through the complicated process they use to get the end result.

Next time any traditionalist has a hard time understanding what it is you have as a soap tell them it is a cousin to the Syrian Aleppo soap. Any decent soap maker will know what Aleppo is.It has a world reputation and has been around for a very very long time.

Without overstepping I am certain that the master soap makers in Allepo consider themselves to be purists in the true sense of that word.

HTH

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Legal Eagle,

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post