Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aphids
 Login/Join

posted
A 10% solution of glycerin in water sprayed on plants kills aphids. Spray on, let sit overnight, rinse off.... aphids gone.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Is the glyc demethed first ? Aphids are a particular anoyance to farms.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Legal Eagle:
Is the glyc demethed first ?
Yes, it's just glycerin by-product, not glycerin with methanol. Thanks for bringing that up; I forget that some people automatically think that glycerin contains methanol.

I've tried other ways of eradicating aphids, like spraying with soap solution, but none ever worked as effectively as the glycerin solution. One application and they're gone, and no apparent harm to the plants, though I wasn't expecting any. I especially like the non toxic, biodegradable properties of the glycerin since it does not compromise the organic cultivation.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John was that NaOH or KOH glycerin?

-Rick

http://www.knicenclean.com your single-most largest free BDG soaping content on the internet.
SAP Testing, Ingredient Properties, Soap Glossary and Recipes just to name a few.

Making Biodiesel Byproduct Soap Learn how to use your biodiesel byproducts to make great bar and liquid soap!!!

"Closing the loop on biodiesel production one bar at a time!"

Beware of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This happened to be NaOH glycerin. Do you think that NaOH vs KOH would make a difference to the plants?

posted Hide Post
From other folks past posts - potassium good for plants, sodium bad for plants

Location: fisher,illinois,usa | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Yes,
I have used NaOH to kill off weeds in my driveway.

But I would guess it has to do with concentration too.

-Rick

http://www.knicenclean.com your single-most largest free BDG soaping content on the internet.
SAP Testing, Ingredient Properties, Soap Glossary and Recipes just to name a few.

Making Biodiesel Byproduct Soap Learn how to use your biodiesel byproducts to make great bar and liquid soap!!!

"Closing the loop on biodiesel production one bar at a time!"

Beware of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
From other folks past posts - potassium good for plants, sodium bad for plants

Actually plants need sodium as well as potassium -- just not as much. From what John described I doubt the plants will get too much.

I will have to try this one out.

Location: Chambodia | Registered: December 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sometimes shower with glycerin soap and so far have remained weed and aphid free. I do have an issue with unruly hair growing where it should not, and not growing where it should.

Location: Virginia | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post