Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glycerin sample
 Login/Join

posted
We had a de-methed glycerin sample tested by a lab. The results are interesting. Not sure what everything means.

Moisture, Karl-Fischr........... 5.70 %
Dry Matter...................... 94.30 %
Protein, Crude...........Less than 0.1 %
Fiber, Crude.............Less than 0.2 %
Fat By Acid-Hydrolysis........... 32.7 %
Ash.............................. 5.34 %
TSI-Total Sugars as Invert........ 2.9 %
Methanol......................... 0.89 %

Little surprised by the methanol number. Glycerin was heated to 220F under 19 inches of vacuum over night.

Location: Virginia | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
is that equivalent to heating it to 260F at no vacuum?

Thanks for posting those Matt

posted Hide Post
fuelfarmer,
Great information!
Did they suggest which part would be soaps and which part would be glycerol?
What makes up the "Dry Matter"? Is it a summary of some of the items listed?

Do you know if the Fat By Acid-Hydrolysis is the fatty acids from the soaps?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rick K,

-Rick

http://www.knicenclean.com your single-most largest free BDG soaping content on the internet.
SAP Testing, Ingredient Properties, Soap Glossary and Recipes just to name a few.

Making Biodiesel Byproduct Soap Learn how to use your biodiesel byproducts to make great bar and liquid soap!!!

"Closing the loop on biodiesel production one bar at a time!"

Beware of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just so you know I am not Matt. I would hate to besmirch his good name.

I don't know the equivalent of temp. versus vacuum.

Dry matter is what is left after the water is removed. Feed samples often show results based on "as is" and "dry matter".

I was hoping to get a PH number also.

I listed all the info I got. I plan to make a call and ask some questions.

posted Hide Post
I'm also surprised by the methanol total.
Your demething process sounds like alot of us.

I'm thinking it would be better to get the residual methanol amount lower before soap making with it. Even though much more methanol is evaporated in the soaping process.
Would spray drying or bubbling the glycerine get the residual methanol number down alot lower?

Location: central virginia | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I need to send off another sample. It is possible that the sample came from the bottom of the batch and had a higher reading. I was told it should be .075% or lower.

The fat, 32.7%, was higher than I expected. Maybe that is why it makes good soap.

posted Hide Post
What kind of glycerine volume are we looking at for the overnight distill ? I bring my pot temps up to 265F all day (8-4) for 30-32 Lt's glyc and all that is coming out of the drip tube is EXTREMELY slow drips. If I cannot distill it to that point it gets categorised as "trash" and discarded.

And yes, the higher "fats" in the equasion gives you better soap making properties; the formula for true soap is: an acid (oil or fat), caustic (sodium/potassium hydroxude) and water. Scenst are not an essential part of soap, they just make soap more pleasurable.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
100 gallon batches. I run up to 220f for 10 to 12 hrs at atmospheric pressure and then pull 19 inches vacuum for another 12 to 15 hrs.

posted Hide Post
We do about 35-45 gallons at a shot and it takes more than 24 hours to get our pot temp up to 260F where the methanol is barely dripping out of the condensor...

sorry for the mistake on the name FUELfarmer Cool

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fuelfarmer:
100 gallon batches. I run up to 220f for 10 to 12 hrs at atmospheric pressure and then pull 19 inches vacuum for another 12 to 15 hrs.

I'm not understanding this concept of distilling under vacuum. How do I draw a vacuum on a tank that needs an opening to allow the methanol vapors to exit?

posted Hide Post
From what I understand if you can draw out more vapor than what is being made inside the tank then you will create a vacuum.

You can now condense the vapors either before the pump or after depending on your pump. Mind you now that the condensation and vapor points of methanol will be different than at regular atmospheric pressure.

Do a search on fabricator he does vacuum distillation.

quote:
Originally posted by Murphy: In short, this place is like a multi-dimensional bull$hit detector on steroids

Location: In the Pacific Somewhere | Registered: January 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I need to send off another sample. It is possible that the sample came from the bottom of the batch and had a higher reading. I was told it should be .075% or lower.

I curious to why it should be 0.075% or lower?

I have had my demethed gylcerin flash point test by NCDNR..at more than 170F..this is above the level that its considered non hazmat..

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I believe that figure is relative to toxicity, not flamability, IIRC.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post