BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Other uses for Glycerine by-product    using glycerin from bio thats been 5% prewashed

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

using glycerin from bio thats been 5% prewashed
 Login/Join

posted
Somebody I think just posted this same question but I can't find it. I was wondering if I can use the glycerin for pre-treating the next batch from a batch of bio thats been 5% prewashed. I would think the water would be an issue.

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never done the 5% prewash, so I can't respond definitively. If you do the math though, the 5% water used for pretreatment, when removed with the glycerine, will dilute the glycerine by about 20% or more. Therefor, I think the glycerine will not be useful for pretreating oil. Just a guess.

Location: Chambodia | Registered: December 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the water stays attached to the glycerin after the batch is ran,then that glycerin will release the water in the wvo for the next batch because the methanol was actually holding it ,but the methanol was now absorbed in the wvo. I really don't know what happens this is just a guess. I'm not a chemist.

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
heatbeater
adding byproduct with the 5% added water, thats not something I would want to do. But if you dare Smile post the results here it's all about learning. I remove most of the byproduct 80-90% prior to prewash, but I do prerinse, no pump mixing at this point I do this twice, then proceed with vigerous pump wash no problems. been doing it this way for 3.5 years maybe more. Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You drain 80-90% of your glycerin and then you pre-rinse twice . I'm not sure what you mean by pre-rinse? It looks like you captured most of the glycerin ,so that you could do a glycerin pre-treatment. Is your pre-rinse a mist washing?

posted Hide Post
heatbeater
that is correct, (pre rinse was probably a bad term should have just said rinse) I take out most of the byproduct, then apply water to the top of the bio via a shower head, no mixing, settle and drain. the reson I do it twice, is to be sure I'm not tranfering byproduct to the wash tank. I pump wash with a nt pump and and byproduct in this type of wash is not a good thing. I have a water manifold built into my processor so all I have to do is open a ball valve. Tom.

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Does the temperture of the bio and the wash water effect the outcome of the wash? I haven't done this enough to put a finger on the best way to go about washing bio.

posted Hide Post
To go back to your original question about pretreating with glycerol containing the 5% prewash. yes It does work but not quite as quickly or as well.
As I understand the pretreatment process, two things are at work.
First the glycerols strong affinity for water extracts water from the WVO so that when you process it there is less soap and more biodiesel. The presence of nearly 20% water in the glycerol inhibits its ability to absorb water to some extent but it still works.
Second the residual, methanol, calalyst, and heat goes to work on the WVO and partially converts it. The presence of the water neutralises any residual catalyst so this part of the process hardly works at all.
I still find it worth doing if the WVO is wet or has a high titration number. If I had to choose between the 5% prewash or the glycerol pretreatment then it would be the 5% prewash every time.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took a mason jar sample right after I stopped a reaction and another one after I did the 5% pre-wash to the same batch . The sample from after the pre-wash is hazy and the pre pre-wash one is clear which shows me that the bio retains alot of the water. When I drained the glycerin the next morning it looks the same as an un-treated batch. In a 40 gallons batch of bio I used 2 gallons of water which at first was a little scary to do ,but all it did was make the bio hazy.

posted Hide Post
Jon Heron stated that he gets a little more wvo after he does a glycerin pre-treatment and I also noticed the wvo was a inch more in the reactor after I did the pre-treatment. I let it settle for 1/2 day ,so I don't think it was unsettled glycerin. Must be some bio in retained in the glycerin??