BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Other uses for Glycerine by-product    Cleaning WVO buckets

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning WVO buckets
 Login/Join

posted
I use 5 gallon buckets with gamma lids to pick up my WVO from several restaurants. Needless to say, they get filthy. What is the best glyerine soap recipe to use to clean these? Will straight glycerine with water possibly work if the buckets are allowed to soak?

posted Hide Post
You will probably find that even partially demethed glycerine will degrease your buckets just fine. Toss a cup in there, add water and scrub a little. Should all come up easily. The warning here though is the residual methanol. If you do this please do it outside and upwind so no fumes come back and bite you. A keep a bottle of Absolut (vodka) around for when I am handling methanol in any way. The ethanol metabolises quicker than methanol ad as such the methanol doesn't get absorbed.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use water with KOH disolved in it. Wear gloves because it stings in any small cut and of course wear eye protection, good eye protection as in goggles.

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: September 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like sawdust mixed with glycerin soap..I use the dirty WVO buckets to mix the glycerin sawdust logs..clean out the bucket at the same time.Smile

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The plain glycerine works just fine. I use a balled up piece of fiberglass windowscreen to scrub with (once the screen I'm using to strain the large stuff out of the WVO gets holes in it, it is then used to scrub the buckets out). I usually pour about an inch of glycerine in the bucket, add about the same amount of water (all approximate), and scrub. Hot water works well in the winter so your hands don't get too cold, but cold water works well too. I wash them between uses so the outsides don't ever get too gunky. If there is dried on gunk on the outside, the windowscreen does a good job of getting it off.
For disposing of the glycerine water mixture, I live in the country and pour it on the weeds popping up in my gravel driveway.
I hate washing buckets, especially when I've saved up a huge pile, but they sit in the kitchen area at the restaurants so must be relatively clean...I'm down to 2 restaurants that want buckets, the others put it back in the cubies for me.

Location: Pendleton, OR | Registered: February 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm down to 2 restaurants that want buckets, the others put it back in the cubies for me.

Buy 'em a large automotive funnel (about $5) and they might be more encouraged to cubie it for you. All of mine do it like that. None of the oil I get ever sees the out of doors until I pick it up.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I tried that route already. I took in a large funnel with a small plastic box for storage of the funnel and they still wanted the buckets...

Location: Pendleton, OR | Registered: February 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Well, at least you tried.

posted Hide Post
After reading your ideas, I decided to put 50/50 glycerol/water mixture in a 55 gallon drum only filling it half way. I then dropped the lids and a bucket into the barrel and just let them soak for a few hours. I was thrilled as they did not require any scrubbing. Just had to rinse them with the water hose. Sure does beat all that time previously spent trying to get them clean.

posted Hide Post
Granted it was with glyc alone but with liquid soap made from it, but I had a very dirty pair of jeans and didn't really have time to do laundry just for that so I popped a cup of soap in a bucket along with just enough water to cover them, swished around to get the soap evenly distributed and left it alone for 4 days. When I came back and rinsed all the crud was gone as if I'd just laundered them. The stuff is amazing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Legal Eagle:
A keep a bottle of Absolut (vodka) around for when I am handling methanol in any way. The ethanol metabolises quicker than methanol ad as such the methanol doesn't get absorbed.

So are you saying that if you get a big wiff of methanol by accident and feel queezy you knock back half a bottle of vodka and that makes u feel better? Smile

Also legal, Making biodiesel makes your clothes full of grease and oil stains that don't come out. Do you have any luck putting some of your soaps thru the wash machine to get these out?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Also legal, Making biodiesel makes your clothes full of grease and oil stains that don't come out. Do you have any luck putting some of your soaps thru the wash machine to get these out?

Yes. Use the glyc soap as a prescrub and then regular laundry or soak and then wash depending if it is really stubborn. I had a pair of jeans I used for kicking around and they got full of engine oil and furnace soot. I figured they were done for, but gave some glyc soap a go and when I was done they were clean enough to wear as casual dress.

quote:
Administration of fomepizole (an inhibitor of alcohol dehydrogenase) or ethanol as a competitive binder to the enzyme, is used to treat methanol poisoning.

Aussie doctor uses booze drip. In this case it was ethylene glycol but the principles in play are the same as seen in the above link.