BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Other uses for Glycerine by-product    Bad glycerine smell after de-mething

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bad glycerine smell after de-mething
 Login/Join

posted
hey guys,

we have been trying some soapmaking the past couple of weekends.

we have been de-mething small amounts of glycerol by boiling off the methanol on an outdoor electric hotplate. we used a 12 quart stainless stock pot, and it had a few liters of glycerol in it.

we monitored the temperature very closely with an IR thermometer and brought the glycerol up to 260 deg F, and hovered it there for an hour, stirring occasionally. at 260 deg F, I noticed the glycerol smoking a bit. after taking it off the burner and cooling overnight, the jellied glycerol smells quite awful - like it's burnt. not very appealing for soapmaking for sure.

this glycerol is from non-hydrogenated, soy based WVO, reacted at a titration 3 with NaOH. the oil was originally used to fry chips at a mexican restaurant. the oil was in no way rancid and actually had very little scent. the glycerol just smelled like methanol when i got a waft of it.

anyone else experience this?

thanks guys,
Mike

150L batch GL Processor *now online and producing*
'82 and '85 M-B 300D's

Location: Boston, MA | Registered: April 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Was the glyc stirred at all during the boil off ? A "few litres" may not have had all it's methanol removed after only an hour, unless it was at a rolling boil in which case it would have had to be stirred or the bottom could have burned.

That said, if you did stir it and it did roll for an hour I suggest taking a small sample out and heating it to fully liquid, quite warm withot boiling and striking a match over it to see if you get ignition.

Ignition will determine that there is still methanol present and it will need to be further demethed.

There are times when I have had glycerine smell a little "off" but once saponified that smell was no longer there and only the "oily" smell stayed behind. To get past the natural smell of the glycerine we use essential oils at trace; 7 ml's to 4 Lt's glycerine (about 1/2oz/USgal). This works for both the bar and liquid varieties.
HTH

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LE,

Our amount of liquid was 2.5L of glycerine after boiling.

We didn't stir constantly through the boiling, maybe once every 10 minutes or so. We had it on the burner for a few hours in total. The first hour and a half it held around 160 deg F at a rolling boil. After that it still boiled but slowly rose in temperature, finally to 260 deg F where we let it sit for an additional hour, with the heat on medium to maintain temperature.

I am sure no ore methanol is present, I have one of those explosive gas meters and nothing is registering (Im paranoid about methanol fumes while making BD, and am for this process too :-) ).

We just must have not stirred enough to prevent a little but of burning - that must be what we are smelling now.

We will stir more next time around and see how it goes. On our first batch the scent did reduce during saponification, but did not disappear completely once finished.

Thanks,
Mike

150L batch GL Processor *now online and producing*
'82 and '85 M-B 300D's

Location: Boston, MA | Registered: April 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post