BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Other uses for Glycerine by-product    disposal of 600 gal of glycerin

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

disposal of 600 gal of glycerin
 Login/Join

posted
I have 600 gallons of glycerin to dispose of and I need to dispose of it soon and quickly. Its too much to make into soap.

I live in the country, so I could mix it 50:50 with water and spray it on the gravel roads. I've heard that trying to burn it is a problem.

What is the easiest way to dispose of this quantity???

Thanks.

Location: southwest Iowa | Registered: September 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 sponsor
posted Hide Post
Two questions:

Where are you located?

Glycrin from KOH or NaOH based biodiesel? Or both?

2002 F-250, 7.3l on WVO since '04
'82 VW Rabbit diesel 1.6l na
'83 GMC 6.2l Class C RV
'85 F-350, 6.9l flat bed
'85 E-350, 6.9l cube van
2 Mercedes 300SD's
3 Chinese Changfa-style diesel generators- 12kw, 8kw & 7.5kw
Mitsubishi 3 cyl diesel generator/light tower
Kubota 2 cyl. diesel, water cooled air compressor
Onan 12.5kw air-cooled diesel genset
I run my company entirely on renewable energy including electricity from generators running on biofuels.

Location: El Dorado, Ark | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Todd, two answers:

I live in southwest Iowa.

Mostly NaOH some KOH, but I don't know which is which now. I suppose I should be able to tell by the consistency. It is a year old. Most of it also has methanol in it.

Location: southwest Iowa | Registered: September 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been able to dump mine in a manure lagoon at a dairy farm. the lagoon holds 1,000,000 gal. of manure. The glycerin is biodegradable and is a spit in the ocean of manure.

Bob

Location: Western NY | Registered: September 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If you have any paper plants nearby maybe they'd be interested in using it to fire their boilers in conjunction with the other junk they use.

Another avenue is paving companies; they use diesels fuel to coat the beds of the dump trucks and also to dip their instruments in so the asphalt won't stick. Some have tested glycerine as a substitute with good success. Methanol must still be in it on both counts. Cut 50/50 it does the job from what I've read.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No manure lagoons anywhere near that large.

No paper plants.

Now what?

posted Hide Post
If you can transport to Kansas I can dispose of it with my crude glycerin when I have a full tanker worth on hand.

Kristof
kristof.reiter@r3energyllc.com

Location: CO, CA, KS, or FL | Registered: January 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Next on the list would be water treatment plants; the bugs love the methanol ladden glyc and apparently it helps them do a better job of breaking down the sewage.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you get up to WI I will take it. We can burn it in our furnace.

www.turnerbiodiesel.com
www.turnerindustriesinc.com
Metal Fabrication and BioDiesel Products. Dry Wash Towers,Processors,Home Heating,Centrifuges,Steel Drum Cone

Location: Chippewa Falls WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since this glycerin is over a year old, is it too old to make soap out of some of it?

How long will glycerin keep for soap making???

posted Hide Post
dmax,
It should still be good to make soap from. Unlink oil the glycerin and soaps should not go rancid. Especially if the methanol is still in the glycerin. If your biodiesel from the glycerin was fully reacted there should not be any oils left in the glycerin.

It should still make some fine soap! Use your KOH for liquid and your NaOH for bars.

-Rick

http://www.knicenclean.com your single-most largest free BDG soaping content on the internet.
SAP Testing, Ingredient Properties, Soap Glossary and Recipes just to name a few.

Making Biodiesel Byproduct Soap Learn how to use your biodiesel byproducts to make great bar and liquid soap!!!

"Closing the loop on biodiesel production one bar at a time!"

Beware of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dmax--

How is the 600 gallons stored? Totes, cubies, barrells? Exactly where in Iowa, I am in Lincoln, NE. Reply by PM if you do not want to advertise your locale.

Norman

Location: Lincoln, NE | Registered: April 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Norman,
Right now its stored in 55 gallon barrels that are nearly full. I have 275 gallon totes and could easily transfer to totes.
I live about 25 miles east of Hamburg.

posted Hide Post
The totes might work best, we could set them on the trailer and then pump the glyc over? I do not know WTF I will do with another 600 gallons of glycerin, but it would give me plenty of feedstock for my methanol recovery system testing. I do have room to styore it and a forklift to move it around with.

Norman

Location: Lincoln, NE | Registered: April 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem with the glycerin buildup, I read up on burning it and made a couple of small burners that worked. This stuff will burn hot as heck under the right conditions. I built a large burner out of an old hot water heater and jacketed it with a 55 gallon drum. I start the fire with a little biodiesel and then start the glycerin feed. The fire in the hotwater heater heats the water in the 55 gallon drum and the water from the 55 gallond drum feeds my hotwater tank in the barn. I heat 150 gallon of water to 170f in about 2 hrs then I use the hot water to de water one tank of oil and heat another tank for processing. The only problem I have is that I make 50 gallon batches and produce 10 gallons of glycerin each time, it only takes 5 gallons of glycerin to heat the water for processing. I think I will build another one this winter to heat the house.

Location: NC | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has this glycerin been moved yet?

posted Hide Post
This is the glycerin heater I was talking about. I now have 4 coils running off of it 150 feet of 1/2" copper tube 50 feet in my hot water tank 150 gallons, 25 feet in my de water tank, 25 feet in my process tank, 25 feet in my wash tank, and 25 feet in my dry tank. With all the cold weather we have had I had to add heat to my wash and dry tank to keep the process moving. I came in the barn the other day and the water tank was at 37f when I started and after 1.5 hr the water was at 180f. I usually stop at 170f but it got away from me, when I shut the flow off to the hot water tank the heater boiled over, another good reason not to have a closed system. It is ugly but as you can see in the pictures it burns clean no smoke at all until the very last before it goes out. Someone said that was just burning the last bit of soap. I burn about 5 gallons of glycerin to heat 150 gallons of water to 180f in below freezing weather. I make 50 gallon batches and I get 10 gallons of glycerin back so I am still 5 gallons in the hole. I just started using the heat in the wash and dry tanks so maybe I will start using more glycerin. I don't have the glycerin feed system worked out completely yet well not for the winter. I found that it is easier to cut into chunks and put into the burner than to try to mess with melting and pumping.

Image121209_1341[01].jpg (18 Kb, 181 downloads) glycerin burner

Location: NC | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
rl303,
I haven't moved or disposed of the glycerol yet. Are you interested in it???