New
Find
Notify
Tools

glycerin burning
 Login/Join

posted
Hello everybody,
I have several hundred gallons of raw glycerin and I would like to use it to heat my garage. Can raw glycerin be burned right away, or does it have to be purifiead first. I understand raw glycerin (biodiesel byproduct) contains some impurities. And does it have to be mixed with something or can it burn independently?

posted Hide Post
The MK glycerin burner from AlterHeat is supposed to burn 100% crude glycerin. Check out the website. I'm looking into some possiblities as time allows.

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. I've burned over a tonne of crude solid glyc this winter as the main form of home heating. This has been our 4th winter heating season. Forget about modified oil burners sometimes touted as suitable. For one thing the ash content will quickly foul any heat exchanger, for another the solid bits will rapidly clog filters or nozzles, even if pre-heated.
We do sell our equipment, so excuse me if I don't describe in detail The units range from 5kW to 50kW and are based on Turk's design, with our own developed improvements. Not suited to housewife operation yet, but practical for the 'hands-on' types on this forum.

Location: Ashford | Registered: March 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
David, do you have a website yet?

I'd like more info on your burner.

posted Hide Post
thank you heatbeater, the MK glycerin burner is really great. Did you know that on AlterHeat website there is a video of the MK burner in action? http://www.glycerinburners.com/ I did not expect glycerin would burn so perfectly