BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Other uses for Glycerine by-product    Feeding raw gly to farm animals

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feeding raw gly to farm animals
 Login/Join

posted
I have a farmer that wants to feed my raw glycerin to his hogs, we have both been researching the topic and it obviously is being done in several university studies. I can't see anywhere that they are de-mething the glycerin before hand.

Anybody know more about this?

Location: West Michigan | Registered: March 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have read that a ruminant animal can handle some methanol with no ill effects. I don't know how much "some" is. Because of their digestive systems, feeding pigs is different than feeding cows. It is just an opinion that the the methanol should be removed. Raw glycerin contains a lot of methanol.

After the methanol is removed you will need to come up with a way to handle the glycerin while it is hot ,or mix the hot glycerin into some other feed ingredient that later can easily be mixed into the feed. Cold glycerin will be solid

Location: Virginia | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Using the IxQuick.com search engine turns up quite a bit of information.

New Uses for Crude Glycerin from Biodiesel.

Symposium: Ruminant Nutrition: Glycerin as a Feed for Ruminants(PDF).

Glycerol, a Byproduct of the Biodiesel Industry, in Livestock Feeds.

And for the rest simply call up the IxQuick Search Engine and type in "biodiesel glycerin and ruminants" in the search window.

And then there is the grand daddy in the 10th rape seed congress in Australia

HTH

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I supplied the farmer with a small amount initially, I thought he was going to dump it in his manure lagoon, he asked about feeding it to his pigs, and I told him it had methanol in it, and I didn't know if it was safe to use as feed without letting the methanol evaporate out.

He apparently fed "some of it" to the pigs to see if they would even eat it, apparently they devoured it! and he asked for more, so: right now he has approx 150 gallons sitting outside in a very large open tank, I asked him to please let it sit for a while to let the methanol evaporate out

Any idea how long it may take? days, weeks, months?

He has read that other people are feeding it to farm animals and thinks it's a waste to dump it in the manure lagoon - but I am concerned.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: March 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post