BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Other uses for Glycerine by-product    Glycerine as cutting fluid.

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glycerine as cutting fluid.
 Login/Join

posted
I discovered a new use for glycerine, at least new to me, today by accident. Im doing some work at the moment that involves drilling lots of large holes in sheet metal. The stepped bit I was using was getting very hot and I looked around for water to dip the bit into. There was no water but there was a bucket of glycerine nearby. I dipped it in and hey presto the bit not only cooled but cut better and smoother. Forget expensive cutting fluid aerosols, just keep a pot of glycerine next to the pillar drill.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
pillar drill = drill press???

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: September 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raften:
pillar drill = drill press???

Yes. Pillar Drill. A drill on a pillar.Leave it to the Brits to take the English language literally. Cool

Darn handy that BD glycerine stuff. Will there ever be an end to all the great things it can do ?

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed pillar drill=drill press but on the other hand Brit does not =Irishman. I think it was Benjamin Franklin who said that we are forever divided by a common language.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I stand corrected.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No offence taken,
My glycerine is KOH based so it very liquid. I have filled a plastic bottle with a spray pump ( it use to contain my wifes window cleaner). It sits next to the pillar drill/ drill press and I can apply it easily while I work. NaOH based glycerine would probably not spray but it could be applied with a brush.

posted Hide Post
Parafin based stick lube is pretty common in machine shops so it stands to reason that glycerine would make an effective cutting compound.

Location: Hixson, TN | Registered: July 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used glycerin as a pipe threading fluid, works great.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Location: Utopia Planitia | Registered: February 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post