BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Other uses for Glycerine by-product    glyerine as fuel in unmodified diesel engine (Mcneil cycle)

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

glyerine as fuel in unmodified diesel engine (Mcneil cycle)
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone experience with the Mcneil cycle to produce power and heat from a diesel generator? http://www.aquafuelresearch.co...issionimpossible.pdf

posted Hide Post
thanks for the article. some interesting things in there.

glycerin sure does have some remarkable properties as a fuel.

i'm focusing on its use as boiler/burner fuel. i would like to heat it to over 100C and run it through a atomizing burner. i figure it should combust readily at some preheat temp. regulating that temp would be a challenge for sure.

Location: PEI, Canada | Registered: September 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Surely the ash from burning glycrol would clog the piston rings and ware out the engine prematurely, after-all that's the reason we go to great lengths to remove the glycerol from our biodiesel even chasing down minute quantities in unreacted oil with the 3/27 test. Otherwise we'd all be using SVO conversions. Most people i know who tried SVO either switched to making bio diesel after a few months or ran up expensive fuel system repair bills and gave up the green dream altogether.

VW Passat 2.0 TDI with a BKP engine 86,000 miles on B100 and not going strong. Bio-diesel broke oil pump drive shaft! ..No oil pressure, dead turbo.

Location: Calne, Wiltshire, England | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
i'm focusing on its use as boiler/burner fuel. i would like to heat it to over 100C and run it through a atomizing burner. i figure it should combust readily at some preheat temp. regulating that temp would be a challenge for sure.

Biotom on this board has successfully burnt glycerol in his boiler system. If you search around you should be able find his posts with pics..
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've tried burning glycerol in my thermobile waste oil heater.
These are the type that pump the oil into a burner dish which has to be cleaned out each day.

It did work. The drawback was that the residue (presumably ash from the soap) was so hard I had to chisel it off the dish every morning. I gave up in the end and just use WMO now.

I cannot see this working in an IC engine.

Location: YORK UK | Registered: April 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pity you cant find a throw away dish, that would make it all worth while. Jim.

Location: Cape Town | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thats right Jim,

Trouble is they are about 6mms cast,15" diameter and from thermobile are @ £80 each!

Location: YORK UK | Registered: April 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post